+ Reply to Thread

Costs of a child's birth?

I'm in WA state and my ex is in British Columbia. I gave birth to our 2nd child 2 months after we legally separated.

In speaking with my BC lawyer about setting up child support we realized my ex might be partially on the hook for birth costs? This is new for us since it's generally free or close to in Canada to have a baby.

Am I right to request my ex pay his 60% of our 60/40 split for "extraordinary costs" related to the children for the birth?

Quote Originally Posted by Rhodi View Post
    I'm in WA state and my ex is in British Columbia. I gave birth to our 2nd child 2 months after we legally separated.

In speaking with my BC lawyer about setting up child support we realized my ex might be partially on the hook for birth costs? This is new for us since it's generally free or close to in Canada to have a baby.

Am I right to request my ex pay his 60% of our 60/40 split for "extraordinary costs" related to the children for the birth?
    Are you divorced from your ex? Where is the divorce taking place? Or was this just a breakup?

Parents should remember 3 things: Love your kids more than you hate your ex; when you have children the relationship with the other parent is until death; your children determine what type of nursing home you end up in.
    Nothing stated by me should be taken as giving you legal advice or forming an attorney/client relationship.

Attorney-GAL in Ohio.

I've removed the knife from my back, polished it, and will one day return it -- long after you think I have forgotten.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohiogal View Post
    Are you divorced from your ex? Where is the divorce taking place? Or was this just a breakup?
    I'm legally separated as the divorce is taking place in BC, Canada and I will not be able to file for divorce until next June.

My child was born in WA state where I reside now.

How did you pay for the birth?

I'm legally separated as the divorce is taking place in BC, Canada and I will not be able to file for divorce until next June.

My child was born in WA state where I reside now.
    Then BC will be dealing with custody as this is a child born of the marriage.

Parents should remember 3 things: Love your kids more than you hate your ex; when you have children the relationship with the other parent is until death; your children determine what type of nursing home you end up in.
    Nothing stated by me should be taken as giving you legal advice or forming an attorney/client relationship.

Attorney-GAL in Ohio.

I've removed the knife from my back, polished it, and will one day return it -- long after you think I have forgotten.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohiogal View Post
    Then BC will be dealing with custody as this is a child born of the marriage.
    Right, but will my ex-spouse be responsible for part of the cost of her birth if we split the extraordinary expenses (medical, childcare, etc)? That was what I was wanting to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Zigner View Post
    How did you pay for the birth?
    I have medicaid, but there were $900 of extra charges I had to pay out of pocket.

I have medicaid, but there were $900 of extra charges I had to pay out of pocket.
    You MAY be able to recoup a portion of the costs in your divorce proceedings, but that depends on the laws in Canada. Speak to your lawyer. At this point, yours is not a US law question.

+ Reply to Thread