• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Has Anyone Had Child Support Terminated When Children Terminated Relationship?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York
There is a long history of parental alienation on the part of my ex-wife. She has been fined twice by the court for interferring with visitation and ignoring the terms of the agreement. For a period of 12 months the court issued me an order of protection against her becuase she had me falsely arrested while I was coaching my son's basketball game. I spent the night in jail. As you can imagine there are many other events that have occurred over the years. My children had visited me regularly up to about three years ago. I took them on many nice vacations but their mother constantly put them in the middle. I beleive they finally got worn down and needed to stop visiting because of the stress of being in the middle. I brought a petition to court to hold the mother in contempt for violating visitation. At that time my children were 12, 14, and 17 (the oldest was 19 and moved out at time). The court assigned a law guardian and family court psychologist. The children told them that i'm a great Dad but don't like the stepmother or stepbrother. My current wife agreed with me that i should seek visitation with the children by myself. I offered visitation and counseling on their terms. I gave them carte blanche. However they wanted it to occur i said i would comply. I agreed to visits and vacation only with me away from the house. They said they weren't interested. The judge said becuase of thier ages, 12, 14 and 17 there is nothing she can do. They are able to terminate their relationship with me. For the past three years i have called at least once a month and on special occassions (i.e. birthday, graduation, etc.) I send cards with money on special occassions. Most times i get the answer machine. when they answer the phone they say very hurtful things or hang up. They say i'm not their father but only a sperm donor. After three years of ignoring me they have clearly terminated their relationship with me. I have been paying child support all along without any issues. In New York i read that the children have a responsibility to maintain a relationship as well as the parent. At what age can child support stop due to the children terminating the realtionship? Has anyone had thier child support terminated for this reason? I love my children very much. I have a 21 year son who is in the Navy and has resumed our relationship after he moved out of his mother's house. He calls me regularly and sent me a father's day card saying thanks for supporting him and keeping him out of trouble.

Isis1

dad, letting the kids run the show, doesn't work well. as you have found out the hard way.

you cannot terminate child support until the court order says so. child support is not an admission fee.

Humusluvr

The judge said becuase of thier ages, 12, 14 and 17 there is nothing she can do. They are able to terminate their relationship with me.
So, you don't have ANY visitation scheduled right now? No agreement, per the judge?

I would appeal that. The 12 and 14 year old have obviously been alienated from you, and should still be able to continue visitation.

If mom has been fined and charged in the past, I would go for it again, and seek an ample visitation schedule.

AND SOME SERIOUS THEREPY!!! Those kids have been brainwashed (IMHO - and I don't know all the facts, of course).

BL

I'm having a hard time believing a Judge would make an order that minor children can decide if they want to visit you or not .

If that were the case , you ONLY had so much time to file your intent to appeal . Three years is too late .

I'm not sure where you would go from here , but minor children do not get to decide .

The GAL can make recommendations .

The court can take the psychologist report into consideration ,as well.

You can agree , that which you did .

If you were still denied , your option is to file for termination of your child support obligation , based on the denial . You can also request relief as the court deems fit .

You will have to show the court your attempts to utilize your visitation rights .

Include the orders of visitations , and proof what you have attempted to do to visit under your rights .

If the court denies your termination of child support request , you have 30-35 days to file a written objection .

The written objection will be reviewed by a JUDGE .

I would be tempted to file a complaint with the Judicial conduct committee , unless there's more going on here than you are typing .

I'd like to know " Exactly " what the Judge's written ordered ( that the kids can decide ) is , and " exactly " what orders you agreed to.

I would also file contempt petition of the orders you agreed to ,and the denials .Of course the better way is to file a modification petition , requesting your visitations and make up visitations, and citing the contempts ,and ask for sanctions , along with lawyer fees .

Good luck ,you'll need it .

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">