• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Life insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

valsry

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

How do I enforce a court order for my ex to have life insurance benefiting the children?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

How do I enforce a court order for my ex to have life insurance benefiting the children?
You would file a contempt motion for his failure to follow the court order.

nextwife

Is he insurable?

While the court can order him to do something, it has NO jurisdiction to force an insurer to issue him a life policy.

Gracie3787

Is your ex current on all court ordered CS, medical, etc?

If so, the lack of life insurance is not going to be a big deal in court, unless ex has a life style that places ex's life in extreme danger.

ecmst12

Of course, YOU can attempt to purchase life insurance on him benefitting the children. That's the only way to REALLY know that a policy is in place.

nextwife

Of course, YOU can attempt to purchase life insurance on him benefitting the children. That's the only way to REALLY know that a policy is in place.
That's what hubby and I did as SOON as we became parents together. Each bought independent policies on each other, in addition to employer insurance. That way, if EITHER of us dies, the surviving parent has insurance to help with the cost. And we can each make sure our protection stays in force. Started college savings right off the bat, also.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">