• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Medicaid for Pregnant Women & State Suing Father for Child Support???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

EllenMarieJamro

What is the name of your state (Texas)?
My boyfriend and I live together. We have lived together for nearly 6 years. He pays for the majority of our bills/living expenses because he earns almost triple what I do. When I found out I was pregnant I applied for Medicaid for Pregnant women, providing them with all of our information, including his SS#, pay stubs, and the fact that we both live in the same home. He is very much involved with me, and provides for me financially (and will for our baby as well). Someone told us that once the baby is born, the state (TX) will go after him for child support, and bill him for delivery costs, just because we are not married? Is this true?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (Texas)?
My boyfriend and I live together. We have lived together for nearly 6 years. He pays for the majority of our bills/living expenses because he earns almost triple what I do. When I found out I was pregnant I applied for Medicaid for Pregnant women, providing them with all of our information, including his SS#, pay stubs, and the fact that we both live in the same home. He is very much involved with me, and provides for me financially (and will for our baby as well). Someone told us that once the baby is born, the state (TX) will go after him for child support, and bill him for delivery costs, just because we are not married? Is this true?
I believe that it is true...at least the child support part. I am not sure about the billing for delivery costs. I know that it happens in many scenarios but I do not know where the exceptions fall into play.

EllenMarieJamro

I believe that it is true...at least the child support part. I am not sure about the billing for delivery costs. I know that it happens in many scenarios but I do not know where the exceptions fall into play.
I don’t understand this at all, especially considering that HIS income was a factor in my eligibility for Medicaid benefits in the first place. I’m so confused and feel that he is being taken advantage of. He does so much for us, I just don’t understand how this is legal?

justalayman

I don’t understand this at all, especially considering that HIS income was a factor in my eligibility for Medicaid benefits in the first place. I’m so confused and feel that he is being taken advantage of. He does so much for us, I just don’t understand how this is legal?
What don’t you understand he should pay his fair shares of the costs of delivery and costs attributable to the child? I don’t want to pay for the baby and of Medicaid pays the bill I do pay the bill

Last edited:

EllenMarieJamro

What donÂ’t you understand he should pay his fair shares of the costs of delivery and costs attributable to the child? I donÂ’t want to pay for the baby and of Medicaid pays the bill I do pay the bill
He pays MORE than his share! Did you even read my initial post? If ANYONE should be charged anything it should be ME, which is one of the things I’m confused about. Why won’t I be sued for CS? I’m not some beggar looking for handouts because I’m lazy and don’t want to work, but I’d be considered that eons before he would! That man works harder than ANYONE I’ve ever met. We both work (he works 3 jobs - 2 jobs M-F and another 12h shift on Sat&Sun). We both pay our taxes too, so I don’t know why you felt the need to say you pay for the baby, like WE wouldn’t be puttting in as much as you are (when in reality, even with Medicaid, we’ll pay much much more - as it should be.)
Even with the entirety of both our income, we cannot afford health insurance. So I applied for, and was accepted for Medicaid for Pregnant Women. During the application process, HIS income was considered for MY eligibility. I do not understand how with his income included, I met the income criteria for Medicaid eligibility, but then they penalize him for having said income. If they see fit to go after him for CS or any of the delivery costs because of his income, I shouldn’t have been eligible for the benefits in the first place (while citing his income). If they had said anything about us having to pay ANYTHING, I’d feel less wronged here. But I was told specifically that Medicaid would cover all of the costs of all of my medical care regarding prenatal, delivery, and postpartum care. If they intend for responsible parties to reimburse these charges, they should say that, and very clearly at that. Also, just deciding that the father, alone, should be responsible for the reimbursement is sexist and reprehensible.
And why would this be any different if we were married?

Last edited:

LdiJ

He pays MORE than his share! Did you even read my initial post? If ANYONE should be charged anything it should be ME, which is one of the things I’m confused about. Why won’t I be sued for CS? I’m not some beggar looking for handouts because I’m lazy and don’t want to work, but I’d be considered that eons before he would! That man works harder than ANYONE I’ve ever met. We both work (he works 3 jobs - 2 jobs M-F and another 12h shift on Sat&Sun). We both pay our taxes too, so I don’t know why you felt the need to say you pay for the baby, like WE wouldn’t be puttting in as much as you are (when in reality, even with Medicaid, we’ll pay much much more - as it should be.)
Even with the entirety of both our income, we cannot afford health insurance. So I applied for, and was accepted for Medicaid for Pregnant Women. During the application process, HIS income was considered for MY eligibility. I do not understand how with his income included, I met the income criteria for Medicaid eligibility, but then they penalize him for having said income. If they see fit to go after him for CS or any of the delivery costs because of his income, I shouldn’t have been eligible for the benefits in the first place (while citing his income). If they had said anything about us having to pay ANYTHING, I’d feel less wronged here. But I was told specifically that Medicaid would cover all of the costs of all of my medical care regarding prenatal, delivery, and postpartum care. If they intend for responsible parties to reimburse these charges, they should say that, and very clearly at that. Also, just deciding that the father, alone, should be responsible for the reimbursement is sexist and reprehensible.
They might not go after him for the birthing costs if his income was taken into consideration for your Medicaid application. Again, I do not know where the exceptions fall for that. They will go after him for child support, but that money should simply come back into your household as long as you are together and as long as you are not collecting any other state benefits. He may also be required to provide health insurance for the child if its available through his employment.

LdiJ

OP, Why do you not have your own health insurance?
She already answered that:

That man works harder than ANYONE I’ve ever met. We both work (he works 3 jobs - 2 jobs M-F and another 12h shift on Sat&Sun). We both pay our taxes too, so I don’t know why you felt the need to say you pay for the baby, like WE wouldn’t be puttting in as much as you are (when in reality, even with Medicaid, we’ll pay much much more - as it should be.)
Even with the entirety of both our income, we cannot afford health insurance

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
You are wrong. If he is in the household and living with her, the state will not go after that. If they are living together in the same home and he is providing support, the state will not go after him.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What don’t you understand he should pay his fair shares of the costs of delivery and costs attributable to the child? I don’t want to pay for the baby and of Medicaid pays the bill I do pay the bill
He is paying his fair share of the costs if he is living in the home and providing for expenses for day to day living for the baby. Couples can be poor.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
They might not go after him for the birthing costs if his income was taken into consideration for your Medicaid application. Again, I do not know where the exceptions fall for that. They will go after him for child support, but that money should simply come back into your household as long as you are together and as long as you are not collecting any other state benefits. He may also be required to provide health insurance for the child if its available through his employment.
They will not go after him for child support if he is LIVING in they household with the MOTHER.

BeckermanPLLC

child Support in Texas.

The Child Support Division of the Office of the Attorney
General has established an Ombudsman Program
that provides a uniform process of receiving, resolving
and tracking complaints from our customers. The
Child Support Division recognizes each customer’s
right to prompt and courteous assistance. Staff are
dedicated to maintaining the highest level of professional
commitment and personal service, particularly
to the parents and children of Texas.

justalayman

Unless he is also on medicaid his share will consist of paying some cash towards the hospital bill. It’s many thousands of dollars and his share is half of the cost attributed to the child.

He is also liable for child support payments to repay the benefits you receive in state aid.

Medicaid isn’t a typical insurance program. It is a welfare program and what is paid out comes out of the public’s pocket. If there is a wage earning parent involved that isn’t also on welfare, they are expected to pick up their half of the costs of their child.

So is the father also on Medicaid? If not, he owes. You aren’t liable because you are on Medicaid.

justalayman

They will not go after him for child support if he is LIVING in they household with the MOTHER.
Ah, hold on there. There are some situations where the father has been liable for child support even when living with the mother (personal experience).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">