• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Medical support of an adult child?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dogo88

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey

My 37 year old son who has a 20 year bout with drug alcohol abuse, has not lived with us for over 10+ years. He is currently in the hospital after open heart surgery for an infected heart valve. The infection also caused a number of strokes. The operation has issues and he currently needs dialysis and physical rehab. His Medicaid runs out soon and he is applying for Charity Care.

My question concerns the medical costs he is running up and could the State force me to take care of him?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey

My 37 year old son who has a 20 year bout with drug alcohol abuse, has not lived with us for over 10+ years. He is currently in the hospital after open heart surgery for an infected heart valve. The infection also caused a number of strokes. The operation has issues and he currently needs dialysis and physical rehab. His Medicaid runs out soon and he is applying for Charity Care.

My question concerns the medical costs he is running up and could the State force me to take care of him?
No .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">