• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Modification cs

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sharon P.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona

My kids father is order to pay 518 a month for one child. He had 3 more kids with a current gf and redeemed his son back. If he goes for a modification will it drop the payment and i would receive less? Also, if his current gf gets him for child support does that lower my payments as well?

CTU

Meddlesome Priestess

My kids father is order to pay 518 a month for one child. He had 3 more kids with a current gf and redeemed his son back. If he goes for a modification will it drop the payment and i would receive less? Also, if his current gf gets him for child support does that lower my payments as well?
Your child's payment shouldn't be lowered based on him having more kids.

(The current girlfriend's support will be less than yours; it will be calculated based on his income minus what he pays to you)

There's more info here, plus a calculator if you want to run the numbers yourself: https://des.az.gov/services/child-and-family/child-support/arizona-child-support-services-modify-and-calculate-child

latigo

It seems that most courts have adopted a doctrine of "first families first" and are hesitant to reduce an order of support for an existing child because of the birth of subsequent children. I don't know how the courts in your state treat the subject. I can tell you this however. In contrast to New Jersey there is nothing in Arizona's extensive Child Support Guidelines (29 or so pages) mentioning allowing an adjustment because of subsequently born dependents.

My guess is that there is no hard and fast rule in Arizona with each case for modification resolved on its own merits taking into account the factors and circumstances that necessarily vary from case to case. Here it would be foolish to speculate. And yet it is hard to believe that a court would impoverish his other dependents.

(One thing I am sure of. If he goes for a modification and the court drops the payment, you definitely would "receive less". :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">