• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Past Due Support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA
My son will be 18 next year. His father has only paid support for 2 sporatic years of his life...YEARS AGO...he has never been there for him. Almost ten years ago, I closed the case against him because he PROMISED to always pay if I did that he needed his license back so he could get a job and pay. I did that and even forgave over 26,000 in back child support, he never paid. I have given him up until now to pay and he still never has and has no intentions on doing so. I have never tried to modify the order I just walked away and did what I had to do, be a REAL PARENT to my/our son. I have delayed reopening the case because I didn't want to do it out of malice, but because it was due to our son. So that is where I am today. Even with him receiving a large settlement recently and never asking what he needed, if anything. YEARS AGO, I told him, I would NEVER go after him for support if he just was a REAL AND GOOD FATHER to him, because somethings you can't put a price on. He never did that either, instead he has always been very nasty,abusive and hateful towards us both. Can someone tell me what I can expect when now trying to reopen the case in spring of next year after I get a tax return and I can then retain an attorney. I know I can do it for less on my own, but when dealing with him, I will need an attorney. I also found out he is now married, how does that help/impact my case? Thanks so much for your time and thanks to all who respond with advice and answers....Blessings!

Humusluvr

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA
My son will be 18 next year. His father has only paid support for 2 sporatic years of his life...YEARS AGO...he has never been there for him. Almost ten years ago, I closed the case against him because he PROMISED to always pay if I did that he needed his license back so he could get a job and pay. I did that and even forgave over 26,000 in back child support, he never paid. I have given him up until now to pay and he still never has and has no intentions on doing so. I have never tried to modify the order I just walked away and did what I had to do, be a REAL PARENT to my/our son. I have delayed reopening the case because I didn't want to do it out of malice, but because it was due to our son. So that is where I am today. Even with him receiving a large settlement recently and never asking what he needed, if anything. YEARS AGO, I told him, I would NEVER go after him for support if he just was a REAL AND GOOD FATHER to him, because somethings you can't put a price on. He never did that either, instead he has always been very nasty,abusive and hateful towards us both. Can someone tell me what I can expect when now trying to reopen the case in spring of next year after I get a tax return and I can then retain an attorney. I know I can do it for less on my own, but when dealing with him, I will need an attorney. I also found out he is now married, how does that help/impact my case? Thanks so much for your time and thanks to all who respond with advice and answers....Blessings!
We understand that you're feeling a bit passive/aggressive here...

You should have filed as it happened. The money was due to YOU for support, assuming you made up for what father did not provide and stepped up to the plate.

Get your attorney, but remember - you can't squeeze blood out of a turnip. If he didn't pay then, what makes you think he'll pay now?

Thanks for the info. I MORE THAN stepped up to the plate. I am sure now he will access all of his assets to pay now and he is working so something will come. He has always had income coming in, he just chose not to pay.
Thanks so much again.;)

does anyone know what will happen when I file? Will they want to know why I waited? Will that help or hurt my case? Thanks again to any and all who answer.:confused:

Humusluvr

does anyone know what will happen when I file? Will they want to know why I waited? Will that help or hurt my case? Thanks again to any and all who answer.:confused:
Why don't you file, like - RIGHT NOW? I don't think you should wait until the case is closed. Since the arrears are building as we speak, file to get them. Don't forgive.

CourtClerk

Can someone tell me what I can expect when now trying to reopen the case in spring of next year after I get a tax return and I can then retain an attorney. I know I can do it for less on my own, but when dealing with him, I will need an attorney.
Find your local Child Support Services Division and open a case. They don't represent you, however, they will take care of establishing support.
I also found out he is now married, how does that help/impact my case?
It doesn't, except for some very unusual circumstances.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">