• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Questions about child support laws in all states

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

satre51

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? All states

I have a couple questions about child support laws in all states (interested in hearing about differences between the states):
1) an unwed woman gets pregnant in a one nighter. She wants be free and travel and doesnt want to raise a child so she decides to give the baby up for adoption. However, the biological father wants to keep and raise the baby.

question: Can the father prevent the adoption and win custody and get child support from the mother? (in a reverse of what women do to men?)

2) Let's assume a different scenario where the mother and father agree to joint custody since they are split up but live only a mile apart. However the father earns much more, like 200k a year whereas the mother only earns 40k.

question: how many states allow the parents to agree to no child support or a trivial amount, instead of mandating a court ordered financial obligation based on income, that neither party asked for? I was told West VA allows that, for example

I'm in TN by the way, which doesnt seem to allow either of these

Just Blue

I have a couple questions about child support laws in all states (interested in hearing about differences between the states):
1) an unwed woman gets pregnant in a one nighter. She wants be free and travel and doesnt want to raise a child so she decides to give the baby up for adoption. However, the biological father wants to keep and raise the baby.

question: Can the father prevent the adoption and win custody and get child support from the mother? (in a reverse of what women do to men?)

2) Let's assume a different scenario where the mother and father agree to joint custody since they are split up but live only a mile apart. However the father earns much more, like 200k a year whereas the mother only earns 40k.

question: how many states allow the parents to agree to no child support or a trivial amount, instead of mandating a court ordered financial obligation based on income, that neither party asked for? I was told West VA allows that, for example

You need to do your own homework.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member

So, let me understand this.... you want us to research your hypothetical scenarios for 50 different states? Yeah...... no.

Maymee

Tennessee allows for a downwards deviation from the guidelines in cases where it is the in the best interest of the child (i.e., vastly different incomes) See TN DHS CSE Guidelines, Chapter 1240-2-4-.07

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer

If there's no state aid involved, such mutual agreements are fine.

However, if one parent receiving state aid (collecting food stamps, etc.), then the state will get involved, as the wealthier parent should reimburse the state for the cost of supporting their child, to the extent that they are able.

In other words, parents are free to agree to support their child(ren) however they wish, and avoid court, so long as the support comes from parents, and not the tax payers.

satre51

So, let me understand this.... you want us to research your hypothetical scenarios for 50 different states? Yeah...... no.
Of course not, just if anybody has insight they can share about the state(s) they know about off the top of their head...I didnt expect anybody to pipe in about more than the state they live in and are familiar with

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Of course not, just if anybody has insight they can share about the state(s) they know about off the top of their head...I didnt expect anybody to pipe in about more than the state they live in and are familiar with
If you have a specific legal question about a matter you are involved in, please feel free to post it. If you are just "curious", then your curiosity and education would be better served by researching this yourself.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">