• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

reinstating child support that has been suspended.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Dad12

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon. My son turned 18 on Fed 16, 2018. He nor his mother filed paperwork with the state of Oregon to notify that he would still be attending school. I received paperwork with notice of "Suspension of Support" for him on Feb 16, 2018. I paid Feb support (was due at the beginning of the month) but have not pain since and received no bills from the division of child support for the State of Oregon. I received a message from my son's mother stating that she failed to submit the paperwork and is now trying to get child support reinstated. My question is can this be? On the document that the State of Oregon sent me it states "Support for XXXX XXXX is suspended as of 2/16 2018 because the child did not let us know before age 18 if continuing in school after age 18." Thank you

Just Blue

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon. My son turned 18 on Fed 16, 2018. He nor his mother filed paperwork with the state of Oregon to notify that he would still be attending school. I received paperwork with notice of "Suspension of Support" for him on Feb 16, 2018. I paid Feb support (was due at the beginning of the month) but have not pain since and received no bills from the division of child support for the State of Oregon. I received a message from my son's mother stating that she failed to submit the paperwork and is now trying to get child support reinstated. My question is can this be? On the document that the State of Oregon sent me it states "Support for XXXX XXXX is suspended as of 2/16 2018 because the child did not let us know before age 18 if continuing in school after age 18." Thank you
To clarify ...your son is still in high school?
if so what grade? Is there an order to pay through college if son attends?

Dad12

To clarify ...your son is still in high school?
if so what grade? Is there an order to pay through college if son attends?
Sorry I didn't read the rest of your question. The order is to pay child support until age 21 if attending school but not once the child turns 21.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Yes. He is a senior and will graduate from high school in June.
Sorry I didn't read the rest of your question. The order is to pay child support until age 21 if attending school but not once the child turns 21.
So, you know that he is in school, and that he is under 21... so you know that as per your order you are supposed to be paying... but you're disappointed that they are not going to penalize your ex for botching the paperwork?

Please explain, as I am unclear on what your goal is, as I would prefer to think you love your child more than you hate your ex.

Dad12

So, you know that he is in school, and that he is under 21... so you know that as per your order you are supposed to be paying... but you're disappointed that they are not going to penalize your ex for botching the paperwork?

Please explain, as I am unclear on what your goal is, as I would prefer to think you love your child more than you hate your ex.
I never said anything about hating anyone. It was a simple legal question as I am not a lawyer. I saw this website for Free Advice and thought I might ask the question with the hopes of a lawyer would be able to give the free advice. This was not intended to offend you. It was just a question. Do you know the legal aspect or not?

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
I never said anything about hating anyone. It was a simple legal question as I am not a lawyer. I saw this website for Free Advice and thought I might ask the question with the hopes of a lawyer would be able to give the free advice. This was not intended to offend you. It was just a question. Do you know the legal aspect or not?
I think, given the terms of the order, that your ex will be able to get the child support reinstated.

Just Blue

I would think that as this was just a simple error the CS wil go back into effect. BTW: Congrats on your son's upcoming graduation and college future!! :cool:

Dad12

I would think that as this was just a simple error the CS wil go back into effect. BTW: Congrats on your son's upcoming graduation and college future!! :cool:
Bambi thank you for the simple legal response. I appreciate your professionalism. I too am very proud of my son and graduating from high school. He is my second child to graduate. It is a great feeling to see your children grow up into adults. It is a whole new and exciting chapter in his life. Proud Dad am I.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I hope you realize that, as you did not pay support for March, you may well be in arrears. Despite what the state sent you, you order is clear. And, support generally is owed until the age of 18 OR graduation from HS - whichever is later.

Just Blue

I hope you realize that, as you did not pay support for March, you may well be in arrears. Despite what the state sent you, you order is clear. And, support generally is owed until the age of 18 OR graduation from HS - whichever is later.
^^like^^

:cool:

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Bambi thank you for the simple legal response. I appreciate your professionalism. I too am very proud of my son and graduating from high school. He is my second child to graduate. It is a great feeling to see your children grow up into adults. It is a whole new and exciting chapter in his life. Proud Dad am I.
*If* you were really a stand up guy, your reaction to the child support being suspended and your ex trying to get it reinstated would be to help her get it reinstated.

This is not a case of the kid being a high school drop out. You knew what the order said and that your son was in school - yet you did not come on here and question why it was being suspended.

Again, unless and until the court order is changes, the terms of the court order are what matters.

adjusterjack

I suggest you deliver two checks to your ex. One marked March Child Support and the other marked April Child Support. Keep photocopies. Do the same for ensuing months even if reinstatement is delayed. Interest on child support is a killer and the court will backdate it.

Just Blue

*If* you were really a stand up guy, your reaction to the child support being suspended and your ex trying to get it reinstated would be to help her get it reinstated.

This is not a case of the kid being a high school drop out. You knew what the order said and that your son was in school - yet you did not come on here and question why it was being suspended.

Again, unless and until the court order is changes, the terms of the court order are what matters.
^^like^^

:cool:

Just Blue

My response wasn't legal or professional. It was a "I think" comment. Most times the most relevant info is what we would not want to hear. I "think" that is what happened with you on this thread. I hope you reread the excellent advice the members of this site gave you.;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">