• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Very frustrated with Ohio CSEA--thoughts, advice?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

graham6732

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio, County of Belmont

My ex and I were residents of Belmont County, OH and divorced here in 1997. I am the residential parent of one son. My ex has willfully stopped paying child support multiple times in the last 13 years.

Most recent history--
In 2005 my ex was in arrears for child support nearly $12,000. He worked as a contract (1099) employee for an independent insurance adjuster and my county was apparently unable to collect regular monthly payments until late 2008 when he got a regular job. In early 2008 the county issued a summons for contempt of court. My ex avoided the hearing with a promise to pay religiously from then on, and he immediately made a $500 payment. My caseworker promised that should he ever miss a monthly payment, or that the amount sent on any given month be less than required amount, the contempt hearing would go forward immediately. I should note that I received tax offsets during this period that dropped the arrears substantially.

My ex was remarried and moved to Kentucky in 2009. I received regular support payments until June of this year when my he began again working for an independent insurance adjuster. I called my county agency and caseworker exactly 30 days after the last payment was received to inform them that he had quit his regular job. This is what they requested I do, since the computerized program the county uses does not flag delinquent accounts. (No, really, I'm serious.) I called twice a week for 2 months, left voicemail messages, with no response. Finally in September I reached a temporary caseworker who had taken over my case--my regular caseworker had just taken an extended leave of absence. She informed me that my regular caseworker had sent one letter demanding payment in mid-September. She informed me that she would personally refer the case to their legal department.

Fast forward to the beginning of November--she finally reaches my ex by telephone, via the cell phone number I personally gave her, and he made a promise to pay $150 a week until the arrears are caught up. The caseworker told me that no matter how much he paid she was still giving the case to the legal department. He paid $150 for two weeks then moved to West Virginia and stopped paying again. I had warned her in advance that he was preparing to move and that should the county choose to file contempt or other charges they should do it with all speed.

I found my ex's new address, a likely employer, new home telephone number via a networking profile on the internet and passed this to my caseworker at the end of last month. This information was verified by my own son who received text messages from his father, containing of all things a clickable link to photos of his newly purchased home found on a realtor's website. The caseworker still seems somehow unable to move forward, her main concern apparently that a contracted employee cannot have his wages garnished??

What I'm trying to grasp is the foot dragging exhibited by the county. They should be well aware that he will not pay unless they aggressively enforce the support order. My ex has a driver's license that could have been threatened with suspension in Kentucky, and surely by now in West Virginia. He has professional licenses in Ohio, Kentucky, and West Virginia that could have been suspended. The county contracts private attorneys to represent the agency in court and they do a bang-up job of it, and in a speedy manner to boot. It's a county with a small population, and a historically small child support caseload when compared to other agencies in the state. There's no reason I can find that there hasn't been a court date set as yet.

What I'm hoping is that the knowledgeable people here will assist me in dealing effectively with this agency. Right now, as it stands, they don't seem to be helping.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Last edited:

mistoffolees

I don't think that's a bad example of 'foot-dragging'.

They got him to pay for a year and a half and then he stopped this summer. They are referring him to their legal department for prosecution. The caseworker took a leave of absence - which employees are allowed to do.

The fact is that it takes time. People paying CS have rights and CSE has to be careful not to violate those rights.

If you want it to go faster, feel free to hire your own attorney.

graham6732

I don't think that's a bad example of 'foot-dragging'.

They got him to pay for a year and a half and then he stopped this summer. They are referring him to their legal department for prosecution. The caseworker took a leave of absence - which employees are allowed to do.

The fact is that it takes time. People paying CS have rights and CSE has to be careful not to violate those rights.

If you want it to go faster, feel free to hire your own attorney.

Taking two months to send out one letter seemed a wee bit slow, especially after being promised that there would be immediate action if he stopped paying again. Perhaps I am incorrect.

Thanks for info on private attorney. I wasn't aware I could do such a thing.

mistoffolees

Taking two months to send out one letter seemed a wee bit slow, especially after being promised that there would be immediate action if he stopped paying again. Perhaps I am incorrect.
They're understaffed and overloaded. If you don't want to work on government time, your attorney can handle it - at a much higher cost, of course.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">