• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrong Man Paying Support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jellibean

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WA
I have a family member that is currently paying child support on a child that is not his. The child has never been a part of my family member's life and the child's family is well aware of the fact that my family member is not the child's father. The child also does not live with his mother. She abandoned him at a young age and he has been raised by his maternal grandfather. The support is being garnished from my family member's paychecks and sent to the grandfather, even though he knows my family member is not the father. There was no paternity test done because at the time of conception, my family member and the child's m other were in a relationship. My family member had no reason to believe the child was not his. However, once the child was born it became immediately clear the child was not my family member's child. How does my family member go about getting a paternity test? When it is proven that my family member is not the father, is there any legal action that can be taken against the family for knowingly going after the wrong individual for support for a child that is not my family member's child?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I have a family member that is currently paying child support on a child that is not his. The child has never been a part of my family member's life and the child's family is well aware of the fact that my family member is not the child's father. The child also does not live with his mother. She abandoned him at a young age and he has been raised by his maternal grandfather. The support is being garnished from my family member's paychecks and sent to the grandfather, even though he knows my family member is not the father. There was no paternity test done because at the time of conception, my family member and the child's m other were in a relationship. My family member had no reason to believe the child was not his. However, once the child was born it became immediately clear the child was not my family member's child. How does my family member go about getting a paternity test? When it is proven that my family member is not the father, is there any legal action that can be taken against the family for knowingly going after the wrong individual for support for a child that is not my family member's child?
Your family member was found to be the legal father of the child.

Please feel free to tell your family member to log on and ask his own questions in this matter. It's really none of your business. Really. Yes, really. No, for sure...really.

Poor kid

jellibean

Thanks, but not really

Please feel free to tell your family member to log on and ask his own questions in this matter. It's really none of your business. Really. Yes, really. No, for sure...really.

Poor kid
He made it my business when he asked me to look into it for him. Thanks for the timely, but completely useless response.

Just Blue

He made it my business when he asked me to look into it for him. Thanks for the timely, but completely useless response.
Sadly if you family member can't be bothered to join and ask his own question then he likely is unwilling to do anything to fix this situation. AS an FYI: We prefer to talk to the legal parties so that we are not getting wrong/incomplete information.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
No, you misunderstand...
This is not your LEGAL business. Please feel free to have HIM log on so we can ask HIM questions that only HE likely knows the answers to. This really isn't your business, and you ought to explain that to HIM.

JsMauiMomma

Can't PM, sorry!

Sorry to take this so far off topic.

OP - did you used to post on The Bump? Like...8-12 years ago?

Last edited:

Poor kid
I would have to agree, lets have that pillar of society join up and speak up.

I'am going to go out on a limb here, have you asked?

CTU

Meddlesome Priestess
Let's just put this one to bed.

In WA, at the moment*, this man has zero chance of revoking his paternity (or challenging same). None. Zero. He's had ... how long, exactly?

Of course, he could establish some sort of joint custody and an enforceable parenting plan, but that takes effort.

*There is currently a bill sitting in the WA Senate - http://app.leg.wa.gov/billsummary?BillNumber=5461&Year=2017 - which, if passed, would change things considerably. He might want to wait and see, given that the status quo isn't hurting him right now.

He also needs to understand that the older the child is, the less likely the court is going to even entertain a petition to challenge his own paternity based on public policy and best interests regardless of biology.

As far as "going after the other family" ... what? Did Mom's family participate in impregnating her? No? There you go then. Sorry, but that's a pretty stupid question to ask, specially given that the guy himself hasn't bothered to do anything about his own situation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">