• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Back board after moving horse

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Just Blue

Obviously you did not get what I was attempting to say. That is okay. I am not going to add to the cruelty by spelling it out.
The cruelty is allowing OP to continue to have any animal that s/he can't care for. Per her/his own postings.

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I miss calculated I only owe 4K. The board was caught up and then my divorce happened. I paid what I could when I could but when the account was negative no one got paid. I was also jobless for a few months and then a lower paying job until a couple months ago. All of which was made known to the barn owner and the agreement of when I could pay pay what you can in a verbal agreement. I cared for MY horse they added to the Debt without talking to me for other things.
You didn't care for your horse if you owe for 16 months of board. Someone else did for those 16 months. You are a deadbeat. You can't afford the horse. Time for you to do a responsible thing and get rid of the horse to someone who can afford to care for it.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
That is a more than a bit cruel...particularly in this day and age. One cannot give away, let alone sell, a rescue horse.
Yes they can. How do you know they cannot? Let me guess... because you have owned rescue horses and you have a rescue farm in your circle of friends and they have educated you on it. :rolleyes:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Obviously you did not get what I was attempting to say. That is okay. I am not going to add to the cruelty by spelling it out.
Legally, OP doesn't get to gripe that the barn wants their money and paid for a farrier, vet and other things that the horse needed. The HORSE needed care. Vaccinations, farrier services, and other shots and dewormer are necessities for care of an animal. Maybe they should have let OP continue to NEGLECT her animal as she did for several months. Then called the humane society and had them remove the horse and charge the OP.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
As I was reading this thread, I was going to respond along the lines of: "If you can't afford the horse, then let go of the horse." I'm glad others already mentioned it.

HRZ

In hindsight I can understand why a stable owner might not want a lien on an animal of near zero market value ...one of my well off friends who owns a stable became the host of about 14 horses with owners unwilling to pay bills .the obvious options at auction caused his stomach to turn ...some of my friends love their horses more than thier dogs or their spouse ....and I'll not tread there .

xylene

Kinda preachy bunch about a 'contract' dispute about the value of labor in kind of payment and a debt on which payment was being made :rolleyes:

Personally I think the barn owner's inaction in collecting and poor tallying of the debt owed is telling of a weak position arrived at out of anger.

justalayman

Kinda preachy bunch about a 'contract' dispute about the value of labor in kind of payment and a debt on which payment was being made :rolleyes:

Personally I think the barn owner's inaction in collecting and poor tallying of the debt owed is telling of a weak position arrived at out of anger.
Who knows how accurate the stable owners accounting is? All we have is op’s accounting. As to the stable owners collection activities; sounds like they’re wonderful humanitarians who could have had the horse sold long ago but went well beyond what they had to do to help op.

Maybe op should be a bit less condemning of the stable owners but show her appreciation for them continuing to shoulder the costs to maintain the horse out of their own pocket.

justalayman

In hindsight I can understand why a stable owner might not want a lien on an animal of near zero market value ...one of my well off friends who owns a stable became the host of about 14 horses with owners unwilling to pay bills .the obvious options at auction caused his stomach to turn ...some of my friends love their horses more than thier dogs or their spouse ....and I'll not tread there .
There is a lien already. It is automatic and the stable owner/creditor can enforce the lien without court action. Proper notice to the debtor and publication of the sale as the law requires and the horse goes away.

I suspect to enforce the lien now the horse has been removed from their possession they may have to utilize the courts. I haven’t checked though.

The fact the stable owner is willing to accept an IOU (which isn’t even a promissory note) shows restraint by the stable owner. They have the right to sue the op, right now, and obtain a judgment. They then have the right to use all legal means to collect on that judgment. Does op understand what a judgment does to one’s credit rating?

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Legally, OP doesn't get to gripe that the barn wants their money and paid for a farrier, vet and other things that the horse needed. The HORSE needed care. Vaccinations, farrier services, and other shots and dewormer are necessities for care of an animal. Maybe they should have let OP continue to NEGLECT her animal as she did for several months. Then called the humane society and had them remove the horse and charge the OP.
I've been thinking the same thing, but you worded it better than I could.

No one was advocating a trip to the glue factory.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">