• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I sue for contempt of court although ruling is no longer valid?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Hankk

Hi. Washington state.

My ex wife got a court order limiting me to supervised visits with my child. She refused to let me see the child although the court allowed it. Meanwhile, there is a different ruling in place.

My general question is: Can one file a motion for contempt of court for a ruling no longer active?

I guess I could not ask in court for the other party to be ordered to comply with the no longer valid ruling. But could I ask that they be held in contempt and be punished or ask for compensation.

Is that possible or are contempt of court motions only valid for active rulings?

Thank you

quincy

Hi. Washington state.

My ex wife got a court order limiting me to supervised visits with my child. She refused to let me see the child although the court allowed it. Meanwhile, there is a different ruling in place.

My general question is: Can one file a motion for contempt of court for a ruling no longer active?

I guess I could not ask in court for the other party to be ordered to comply with the no longer valid ruling. But could I ask that they be held in contempt and be punished or ask for compensation.

Is that possible or are contempt of court motions only valid for active rulings?

Thank you
If there is no order in place, there can be no contempt of the order.

If you are having problems with visitation, you can return to court for a modification.

HRZ

IF you are seeking correction of supposed past sins ...I suggest you not waste resources but focus on road ahead and existing orders ...and any changes that are in best interest of your child .

quincy

Hi. Washington state.

Thank you
What is this "different ruling" that is now in place?

Hankk

I actually do not really believe in punishment but violating the past order has brought me so much grief and she thinks the law does not apply to her. So if she was punished for the past violations she would be more careful in the present, I am thinking. Thank you

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If the order is no longer in effect, she cannot be "punished" for violating it, now OR in the past.

Drop it and move on.

Just Blue

I actually do not really believe in punishment but violating the past order has brought me so much grief and she thinks the law does not apply to her. So if she was punished for the past violations she would be more careful in the present, I am thinking. Thank you
Do you suffer from a mental illness? I ask because as there is no order being violated currently ...How can she e in contempt?:confused:

quincy

If she violates any new orders, you can consider a contempt of court motion at that time.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">