• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Civil Litigation?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

angel100

My sister's husband hurt me really bad on Christmas Day and I would like to sue for damages. Where can I find a lawyer that will help me until the case is settled? Also, how much can I sue for?

quincy

My sister's husband hurt me really bad on Christmas Day and I would like to sue for damages. Where can I find a lawyer that will help me until the case is settled? Also, how much can I sue for?
What is the name of your state?

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
If your brother-in-law attacked you I hope you called the police to report that act of violence.

What you want to look for to sue him for the injuries he caused you is a personal injury lawyer. There are all kinds of ways to look for an attorney. You may try contacting the state or local bar association in your area for a list of attorneys who handle personal injury cases. There are online lawyer directory services. You'll find lawyers listed in the yellow pages of your phone book (and the online version of those yellow pages). If you now any lawyers in your area, regardless of the area of practice, you might ask him or her for recommendations for a personal injury lawyer. If you know anyone who has hired a personal injury lawyer you might ask him or her if that lawyer did a good job.

As far as how much you may sue for, it is important to realize that lawsuits are not like the lottery — you do not get a huge amount of money for a minor injury. Rather, what you get is compensation for the actual harm caused. This would include the medical bills you had to pay to get treated for the injury, any lost income because you couldn’t work after the injury, compensation for lost future earnings if the injury will diminish your future ability to work, and some amount for pain and suffering.

quincy

If you provide the name of your state, we can direct you to resources in your area - this assuming you are in the US and not in another country.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">