+ Reply to Thread

Co-tenant Harassing and Recording me without consent

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

Currently I am living with a co-tenant and she has been hostile towards me as well as her mom. I have been hit with hot oven doors, cabinets and been pushed out of the way. They have even gone as far as breaking into my living space. She even went as far as to confront me demanding I give her money or she would take me to court and press false charges on me for hitting her mother with a door. Prior to these incidents I hadnt gone to the police but have asked the magistrate on what I could do. They weren't much help as I waited too long to do anything about it.

Over the past two weeks they've been recording me without my consent. I've found them propping their phones in the windows when I'm in the yard or laying on the couch or standing in the kitchen taking photos and video recording me on their phones.

Today I walked into the kitchen and notice that they had put up a hidden camera hiding in a bonbon box. I have walked upstairs in the kitchen in my undergarments since I wake up before everyone else. I am unaware as how long they've had it there nor was even made aware I was being recorded (didn't consent). I believe that the security camera has audio as well but I'm not certain as I could look up the specs on the model. I took photos of the camera she has hidden.

I no longer feel safe in my home and who knows why she has been recording me... the only thing I can think of is she is using the media to share with my ex-husband and his girlfriend since they are best friends. I need help figuring out what specific charges I can go to the magistrate with. Help? Please? I'm tired of coming home and being harassed, pushed around, or treated malciously.

Quote Originally Posted by Popcornfairy33 View Post
    What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

Currently I am living with a co-tenant and she has been hostile towards me as well as her mom. I have been hit with hot oven doors, cabinets and been pushed out of the way. They have even gone as far as breaking into my living space. She even went as far as to confront me demanding I give her money or she would take me to court and press false charges on me for hitting her mother with a door. Prior to these incidents I hadnt gone to the police but have asked the magistrate on what I could do. They weren't much help as I waited too long to do anything about it.

Over the past two weeks they've been recording me without my consent. I've found them propping their phones in the windows when I'm in the yard or laying on the couch or standing in the kitchen taking photos and video recording me on their phones.

Today I walked into the kitchen and notice that they had put up a hidden camera hiding in a bonbon box. I have walked upstairs in the kitchen in my undergarments since I wake up before everyone else. I am unaware as how long they've had it there nor was even made aware I was being recorded (didn't consent). I believe that the security camera has audio as well but I'm not certain as I could look up the specs on the model. I took photos of the camera she has hidden.

I no longer feel safe in my home and who knows why she has been recording me... the only thing I can think of is she is using the media to share with my ex-husband and his girlfriend since they are best friends. I need help figuring out what specific charges I can go to the magistrate with. Help? Please? I'm tired of coming home and being harassed, pushed around, or treated malciously.
    Why are you being treated this way?

If you rent a room from them move ! If you wont move then use the links above and arrange for a consultation with a Attorney who can assist you to learn your options regarding the recording and the other bad behaviours wich could include going back to the police when you are pushed or injured by them or find your room to be broken into.

Here is a link to the recording laws in Virginia, published by the Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press:

https://www.rcfp.org/reporters-recor...guide/virginia

I am curious how one can be hit with a hot oven door.

Are you this persons subtenant ? A LL can be grouchy ..that's not illegal ....but what you describe seems way over the line :

1. It is likely that a threat of report you to police for supposed crime X Unless you pay person is a form of extortion ...big problem for threat maker if local DA takes up the point .

2. A campaign to deny you quiet enjoyment of the premises rented is probably a violation of common law rights or basic tenant rights .

3 Read the VA laws about recording...if the camera is aimed at an area where one has an expectation of privavy...might be over the line ...me, I might put on a show for such camera ! ..and then make a Royal fuss .

4. Hitting you or threats of harm are likely assault and battery crimes you could report to police .

5. MIght be time to bail out of this place ?

6. IT might be possible to get a protection order against the actor to keep them say 100' away ...which essentially keeps them out of unit anytime you are there.

Quote Originally Posted by FarmerJ View Post
    If you rent a room from them move ! If you wont move then use the links above and arrange for a consultation with a Attorney who can assist you to learn your options regarding the recording and the other bad behaviours wich could include going back to the police when you are pushed or injured by them or find your room to be broken into.
    What I have bolded above of FarmerJ's post is the best advice.

There is absolutely no good reason for anyone to tolerate abuse. Move - and deal with any issues that arise from the move after you are safely away.

Quote Originally Posted by Popcornfairy33 View Post

I no longer feel safe in my home I'm tired of coming home and being harassed, pushed around, or treated malciously.
    Then find yourself another place to live and get the hell out of there.

You stay under those conditions and it's on you, not them.

I'm not saying this as a way to condone any improper/illegal actions...

Why in the WORLD would you walk in to the common area of your housing in your underwear?

+ Reply to Thread