• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Collecting on settlement?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

yeut47

What is the name of your state? Ohio

I had a case pending, but reached a pretrial settlement with the defendants. It included a settlement amount, plus court costs charged to the defendants. This settlement was filed and approved by the judge. So far, I have only recieved payment of the settlement amount- not the court costs.

Two questions:

1) What is my recourse to collect on the court costs, per the settlement? The same as if they just failed to pay at all?

2) The check for the settlement amount had a note on it, "Final Payment". Does my cashing this check mean anything, and does this note have any effect on my collecting on the rest of the settlement?

badapple40

No -- call your attorney or the other side's attorney (if you didn't have an attorney) -- and tell them they owe you the court costs still.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">