• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

General Question: Can you respond to a moving party's motion?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DarkoLight

This is for Colorado: Can you respond to a motion but in support of it?

Fyi: It is a motion to file an answer out of time.

quincy

I see -- If I have that in writing. Can I submit that to the judge?
If the other party has not already filed their motion, they can submit an uncontested motion for an extension of time, or you can respond in support of the motion.

Last edited:

DarkoLight

Got it. Would I title it: “Plaintiff’s Answer to motion for extension of time to file answers”

Then include my supporting documentation?

Kind of a long title.

quincy

Got it. Would I title it: “Plaintiff’s Answer to motion for extension of time to file answers”

Kind of a long title.
Following is a link to the Rules. See Rule 6.1(a) (stipulate in writing to extension) and Rule 7.1 (c) and (d) (motions):

http://www.cod.uscourts.gov/CourtOperations/RulesProcedures/LocalRules/CivilLocalRules.aspx

A slight correction to what I wrote previously: Instead of "Uncontested Motion for _", Colorado uses "Unopposed Motion for _."

Last edited:

LdiJ

Kind of a long title.
Yes its kind of a long title, but its an accurate title and that is what is appropriate. You really do not have to include any supporting documentation, you just have to say that you agree to the extension of time to file answers. Short and sweet.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member

Kind of a long title.
It would be better to title it “Plaintiff’s Reply to Defendant’s Motion for Extension of Time to Answer.”

In Colorado civil pleading, you have a complaint (which you filed) and then an answer by the defendant (which he has not yet filed and is seeking an extension of time). So he is filing a motion to get that extra time, and your response to that is known as a reply, not an answer.

latigo

Following is a link to the Rules. See Rule 6.1(a) (stipulate in writing to extension) and Rule 7.1 (c) and (d) (motions):

http://www.cod.uscourts.gov/CourtOperations/RulesProcedures/LocalRules/CivilLocalRules.aspx [B]?[/B](?) [/QUOTE]

What prompts you to cite the [I]Civil Local Rules of the United States District Court in and for the State of Colorado[/I]?

Do you have reason to believe that that body of rules is applicable here and not their state counterpart?

quincy

What prompts you to cite the Civil Local Rules of the United States District Court in and for the State of Colorado?

Do you have reason to believe that that body of rules is applicable here and not their state counterpart?
No ... ... ...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">