• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Libel:

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

claird

What is the name of your state? OH
My father purchased a new truck from dealership. the truck had steering problems. He repeatedly tried to get them to fix it which they wouldn't. They said there was no problem, that all the trucks steered like that.

my father made a sign which reads, " I purchased this 2003 S10 truck from *********** (he put the name of the dealership, i will omit that). The truck has severe steering problems. I took the truck to the dealership 3 times and they refuse to fix the problem. Where are you going to buy your next truck?" He then affixed the sign to back of his truck.

The car dealership is now suing my dad for libel. The statements on his sign are true. He purchased the truck there. He was there to have the problem fixed 3 times. the question he stated is their signature so to speak on their commercials.

Is it correct, that if his statements were true, it is not considered libel? If they continue to sue, and my father is found right, can he countersue or whatever for the costs he incurred to defend himself in court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">