• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need guidance on what to do in a civil personal injury situation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bolo Head

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington

Hello--need help with knowing what to do. Son-14 yrs. old made mistake and was never charged but took diversion(community service) no restitution to victim at that time(they were never contacted by the court). Now victim coming after us for damages. It initially started with $2,000 and now has risen to $100,000 in what he wants. It is spinning out of control. I have no money for a lawyer and no one seems to want to help. I can give more details if needed if someone would like to respond and help me out. It is a very interesting situation.;)

JETX

Son-14 yrs. old made mistake and was never charged but took diversion(community service)
Hmmm... sounds like he was charged to me. Can't see why he was offered (or 'took') diversion without charges being filed.

no restitution to victim at that time(they were never contacted by the court).
Not relevant.

Now victim coming after us for damages.
As is their right. They can sue for any amount they want. They just have to prove that the damages are real and that your son was the person who caused the damages.
You, as parents, can be charged due to HIS conduct.

Bolo Head

He was not charged with a crime since he had no previous record and there wasn't any restitution. I understand that the victim can sue for this situation and I am liable because of my son being a minor but I think that asking for more than what is the real amount is morally and ethically wrong. My son takes responsibility for his error but why do people have to take things to a level that is not reasonable. Anyway I need to know how to respond to a summons and complaint---I can't afford an attorney at all and if I am going to have to pay for this persons injury(which is bogus anyway---I have proof by photo on what this person is claiming is just not medically possible) then I need to apply any money that is awarded to the settlement.

JETX

I think that asking for more than what is the real amount is morally and ethically wrong.
And who EXACTLY do you think should pay the extra costs needed by merchants for cameras, security personnel, anti-shoplifting tags, etc.??
It is far more 'morally and ethically wrong' for you to expect that the law abiding citizens should pay them??

My son takes responsibility for his error
ERROR??
What a pile of PELOSI!!!
Your little angel is a thief!! The fact that he only got caught ONCE does NOT mean it was his first time.
What EXACTLY have you done to your little angel as a responsible parent to help teach him that he, and he alone, is responsible for his actions instead of calling this an ERROR??

but why do people have to take things to a level that is not reasonable.
And why do little snot-nosed punks (or their 'parent') think that they can STEAL someone else's property and should get away with it???

Anyway I need to know how to respond to a summons and complaint---I can't afford an attorney at all and if I am going to have to pay for this persons injury(which is bogus anyway---I have proof by photo on what this person is claiming is just not medically possible) then I need to apply any money that is awarded to the settlement.
Your response should be to call the attorney representing the merchant and negotiate some way to pay for your little criminals actions. Maybe that way, both of you will learn something other than to make excuses and blame others.

Antigone*

And who EXACTLY do you think should pay the extra costs needed by merchants for cameras, security personnel, anti-shoplifting tags, etc.??
It is far more 'morally and ethically wrong' for you to expect that the law abiding citizens should pay them??

ERROR??
What a pile of PELOSI!!!
Your little angel is a thief!! The fact that he only got caught ONCE does NOT mean it was his first time.
What EXACTLY have you done to your little angel as a responsible parent to help teach him that he, and he alone, is responsible for his actions instead of calling this an ERROR??

And why do little snot-nosed punks (or their 'parent') think that they can STEAL someone else's property and should get away with it???

Your response should be to call the attorney representing the merchant and negotiate some way to pay for your little criminals actions. Maybe that way, both of you will learn something other than to make excuses and blame others.
First, JetX how do you know the little snot-nose punk stole anything. Is your crystal ball better than mine??? I want a refund:p

Now onto the real stuff ~ look mom whatever sonny-boy did is costing you big time. Put his behind to work because you are going to need that lawyer to help you through the civil justice system.

No one on this forum can help you with the complaint. We are here to answer general questions and provide a bit of guidance. What you need is way beyond the scope of an internet forum.

Bolo Head

I am sorry it was my mistake that I could ask for a little bit of guidance here in this forum. I thought people would be kind and actually offer some advice to a direction in which I could travel. My child did not steal anything as stated by a person on this forum.(Wireless--I did appreciate your comments however) But it doesn't matter as I don't have to explain myself to others because they will think what they want--I will be exiting this forum and will get proper information that I can actually use. I certainly hope people will be happier in their lives and actually realize that people do make mistakes. I have been a victim of crimes in the past but never turned bitter as some people do become. Have a wonderful day!!

divona2000

ERROR??
What a pile of PELOSI!!!

Um, JETX, nice rant :D but OP stated:
" if I am going to have to pay for this persons injury(which is bogus anyway---I have proof by photo on what this person is claiming is just not medically possible"
OP said injury, not theft, person, not merchant.

Antigone*

Um, JETX, nice rant :D but OP stated:
" if I am going to have to pay for this persons injury(which is bogus anyway---I have proof by photo on what this person is claiming is just not medically possible"
OP said injury, not theft, person, not merchant.
We've already established that divona. JETX may have gotten this post confused with another...sometimes that happens. What do you want... a pound of flesh???

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">