• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Personal Property Rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kmsdesigns

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio
I recently had a vehicle taken from my possession. I have been making payments, keeping insurance, and maintaining the vehicle for over 14 months. The vehicle was not in my name, my ex-business partner and I purchased it with the verbal agreement it was my truck and I had to pay and maintain it. Which I did. After the end of our partnership I continued to maintain and pay for the vehicle for over 6 months. They asked me to try to refinance it under my name which I was unable to do, due to my credit and the value of the vehicle. They since have decided to take it with no forewarning to me. Do I have any legal recourse?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio
I recently had a vehicle taken from my possession. I have been making payments, keeping insurance, and maintaining the vehicle for over 14 months. The vehicle was not in my name, my ex-business partner and I purchased it with the verbal agreement it was my truck and I had to pay and maintain it. Which I did. After the end of our partnership I continued to maintain and pay for the vehicle for over 6 months. They asked me to try to refinance it under my name which I was unable to do, due to my credit and the value of the vehicle. They since have decided to take it with no forewarning to me. Do I have any legal recourse?
Yep - go buy your own car.

sandyclaus

The answer is NO

You don't own or have title to this car. When the owner asked you to refinance it in your own name, you weren't able to.

The owner has concerns about your ability to keep paying, and he doesn't want to end up holding the bag. If anything happens, i.e. You stop paying or you get into an accident, as the owner, he remains responsible. He no longer wants to bear that burden since the business relationship no longer exists. And that is his choice.

And the agreement between you ain't in writing, so its like it never happened. That's what a court would tell you. They would call what you've paid to date the cost of using the car and that would be that.

Think about it this way. Since now you aren't paying for his car, you'll better be able to afford one of your own.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">