• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pleliminary Objections

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

HuAi

First of all pardon the title, I can't edit the typo.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

I filed a complaint in a civil case. 052 PA Code § 5.61(a) stipulates defendant has 20 days to file an answer.

On day #20 I called the court. Clerk told me that the defendant's atty filed preliminary objections with the court. He did not file a certificate of service. It's been almost a week since then and I have not received a copy from defendant, nor have I received notice of scheduled oral argument.

Per § 5.101 (f) I have 10 days from date of service to file an answer to the preliminary objections. Since I have not been served, I cannot file an answer.

According to the court's rules on oral arguments on preliminary objections, the responding party's briefs must be filed 5 days before the scheduled argument and failure to file a brief could result in default granting of motion.

QUESTION #1: Should I contact the opposing party and request service? Find out from the court if an argument has been scheduled? Challenge it for lack of service if objection is sustained?

Per § 5.101 (d) Except as provided for in subsection (e), the filing of preliminary objections may not eliminate the requirement to file an answer to the complaint or other initiating pleading.

§ 5.101 (e) Preliminary objection regarding insufficient specificity.

QUESTION #2: If the objection is not regarding insufficient specificity, what should be my next step regarding defendant's failure to file a timely answer pleading? Should I bring this up at preliminary objection argument?

Per § 5.61(c), a respondent failing to file an answer within the applicable period may be deemed in default, and relevant facts stated in the pleadings may be deemed admitted.

QUESTION #3: As the plaintiff do I need to file any motions to ask the court to deem his facts admitted or is it automatic?

Last edited:

davidmcbeth3

First of all pardon the title, I can't edit the typo.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

I filed a complaint in a civil case. 052 PA Code § 5.61(a) stipulates defendant has 20 days to file an answer.

On day #20 I called the court. Clerk told me that the defendant's atty filed preliminary objections with the court. He did not file a certificate of service. It's been almost a week since then and I have not received a copy from defendant, nor have I received notice of scheduled oral argument.

Per § 5.101 (f) I have 10 days from date of service to file an answer to the preliminary objections. Since I have not been served, I cannot file an answer.

According to the court's rules on oral arguments on preliminary objections, the responding party's briefs must be filed 5 days before the scheduled argument and failure to file a brief could result in default granting of motion.

QUESTION #1: Should I contact the opposing party and request service? Find out from the court if an argument has been scheduled? Challenge it for lack of service if objection is sustained? You could motion to strike/you could ask them to re-send you their papers/you could go to court and get a copy there

Per § 5.101 (d) Except as provided for in subsection (e), the filing of preliminary objections may not eliminate the requirement to file an answer to the complaint or other initiating pleading.

§ 5.101 (e) Preliminary objection regarding insufficient specificity.

QUESTION #2: If the objection is not regarding insufficient specificity, what should be my next step regarding defendant's failure to file a timely answer pleading? Should I bring this up at preliminary objection argument? motion to strike answer/motion for default judgment ?

Per § 5.61(c), a respondent failing to file an answer within the applicable period may be deemed in default, and relevant facts stated in the pleadings may be deemed admitted.

QUESTION #3: As the plaintiff do I need to file any motions to ask the court to deem his facts admitted or is it automatic?
same as #2 answer

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">