• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Potential lawsuit? No written or verbal agreement.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ALocksmith

Working for a company for 2 years and previously I was using a vehicle under the company name/insurance and then it was totaled in an accident in which i was not at fault. the company told me to get a vehicle under my name/insurance. They helped me get a work truck and the first week I noticed some issues with the transmission so I had it looked at by a mechanic. The mechanic had informed me that the transmission was on its way out and needed to be rebuilt or replaced so the company offered to help me fix it so I could keep working. After that owners have been neglecting the company for the past couple months so it s been really slow and I m barely scraping by but I have an opportunity somewhere else. No verbal/written agreement was made to pay them back for the transmission. The owners Can be a bit shady at times so I just want to know what possible outcomes there are so I can determine if it's worth the headache. Can I be sued for leaving with the vehicle which is registered and insured under my name? Also am I obligated to pay them for the transmission? I am paid under the table and live in PA.

LdiJ

Working for a company for 2 years and previously I was using a vehicle under the company name/insurance and then it was totaled in an accident in which i was not at fault. the company told me to get a vehicle under my name/insurance. They helped me get a work truck and the first week I noticed some issues with the transmission so I had it looked at by a mechanic. The mechanic had informed me that the transmission was on its way out and needed to be rebuilt or replaced so the company offered to help me fix it so I could keep working. After that owners have been neglecting the company for the past couple months so it s been really slow and I m barely scraping by but I have an opportunity somewhere else. No verbal/written agreement was made to pay them back for the transmission. The owners Can be a bit shady at times so I just want to know what possible outcomes there are so I can determine if it's worth the headache. Can I be sued for leaving with the vehicle which is registered and insured under my name? Also am I obligated to pay them for the transmission? I am paid under the table and live in PA.
Do you really get paid under the table or do they treat you like a contractor and issue a 1099 at the end of the year?

ALocksmith

No I'm paid under the table. I talked to them multiple times about a 1099 but it's mostly a cash business so they want to pay me under the table similar to a laborer. Not the ideal situation but I had just had surgery that limited my work options at the time.

LdiJ

No I'm paid under the table. I talked to them multiple times about a 1099 but it's mostly a cash business so they want to pay me under the table similar to a laborer. Not the ideal situation but I had just had surgery that limited my work options at the time.
If there was no contract for you to pay them back, written or verbal, then technically you might not end up being liable to pay them back, particularly since they are a cash business that is seriously cooking their books.

You probably should move on to a new opportunity anyway, because what they are doing is totally illegal.

ALocksmith

If there was no contract for you to pay them back, written or verbal, then technically you might not end up being liable to pay them back, particularly since they are a cash business that is seriously cooking their books.

You probably should move on to a new opportunity anyway, because what they are doing is totally illegal.
I appreciate the response. The people I work for are kind of shady so I just wanted to know if they had a basis for a lawsuit. Thanks.

LdiJ

I appreciate the response. The people I work for are kind of shady so I just wanted to know if they had a basis for a lawsuit. Thanks.
They do have a basis (and they are not "kind of" shady, they are flat out shady) however they would be fools to exercise that basis as it will open them up to other major issues.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">