• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question on Pre-Trial Date and right to a speedy trial

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

isaac2004

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wisconsin

I was cited for a traffic violation on 9/05. Plead not guilty on 10/13. I just got my paperwork in the mail and saw that I have a "Pre-Trial Conference" scheduled for 11/17 and a Trial Date of 12/7. The dcouments have time stamps of 10/20 on them. My first question is, what should I prepare for this conference? Is it more or less the DA trying to get a deal? Also I have a question about my right to a speedy trial. The 12/7 date is more than 45 days from the date I plead not guilty and also from the timestamp of the court documents (it is 48 from the timestamp on the documents). My question is, is it the trial or the conference that needs to adhere to my speedy trial rights? And if it is in violation, what process do I take to bring this up. Let me know if you have any questions, and thank you for your time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">