• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Recovering Property from my father's ex-girlfriend

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
It's a sad state of affairs in your world where a gift needs to be offset by another gift of equal value, lest the recipient of the gift be disparaged.

Just Blue

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

My father was a well off individual for many years. During these times of posterity, he gave art, money, and trips to various girl friends. He is getting on in years and has experienced a reversal of fortune and now needs some of these assets. I'm aware of a piece of art at one of his ex girlfriends house that is a significant asset. I'd like to retrieve it so that we can auction it off to support him in his remaining years. The item in question is in her possession, but no "gift" tax has been paid, so I'm considering this as just one of his current assets that can be liquidated. How would I go about retrieving this item, if the ex-girlfriend is reluctant to give it up? Thanks for your response.

Eric
Just to remind everyone. ;)

HRZ

That does not rule out that the ex GF has lost interest for in that piece of art...and might be willing to part with it for a big stack of $100s if OP quits whining about the past and puts money on the table. And if he thinks it is worth $100,000 and he buys it for $30,000 Cash, he can consider himself smart .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">