• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Restraining Order - Toeing the line

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Cranford

Update

They charged him with Felony Stalking (because of the RO was in place - bail $100,000). There was also a misdemeanor charge of Contempt of Court. I took contemporaneous notes (the spreadsheet) and have pictures as well as my narrative with dates / events that I never got to use in obtaining the RO...not to mention emails where he called out this similar behavior as stalking. Oh and I also have pictures of when he followed me to another location. I figured there would be a plea. He doesn't like confrontation and to have all his emails and behavior aired...

Unfortunately I am very familiar with Vine (awesome service) and I was notified that he was released about 30 minutes ago.

Really appreciate all the help and advice I have received here!
The DA declined to charge him because it was in a public location and they didn't feel they would be able to convince a jury that him seeing my car, and deciding to continue around the lake, then passing me mid-run, then seeing my car again and deciding again to continue around the lake, then lapping around again and seeing me at the end of the run and then cutting down a side path to be at the exit when I left EVERY time I was at the lake was deliberate or a violation. Silly me, I thought him KNOWING there was no exit for me (midway around the lake) and KNOWING that he would have to pass me again within the 100 yards would have been enough to warrant a violation- especially when it was done repeatedly.

I kind of expected this would be the outcome but I am disappointed all the same. At least I haven't seen him again and these shenanigans cost him $10K plus any legal fees he may have incurred. So now he knows I am serious. Of course now I'm worried he will sue me for harassment.

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
The DA declined to charge him because it was in a public location and they didn't feel they would be able to convince a jury that him seeing my car, and deciding to continue around the lake, then passing me mid-run, then seeing my car again and deciding again to continue around the lake, then lapping around again and seeing me at the end of the run and then cutting down a side path to be at the exit when I left EVERY time I was at the lake was deliberate or a violation. Silly me, I thought him KNOWING there was no exit for me (midway around the lake) and KNOWING that he would have to pass me again within the 100 yards would have been enough to warrant a violation- especially when it was done repeatedly.

I kind of expected this would be the outcome but I am disappointed all the same. At least I haven't seen him again and these shenanigans cost him $10K plus any legal fees he may have incurred. So now he knows I am serious. Of course now I'm worried he will sue me for harassment.

Disappointing update, but not entirely unexpected given what CdwJava posted.

Hopefully he'll just go away now. Best of luck to you, Cranford. And thanks for the update -- hopefully soon you'll be able to come back to report that he's been transferred to Upper Mongolia....

CdwJava

Thanks for the update. As Shadowbunny stated, it's a disappointing but not altogether unexpected result.

Don't worry about some sort of harassment suit. The state takes a dim view of lawsuits targeting those who legitimately seek out the protections of the police and the courts, and unless he can prove you lied solely to get him in trouble, no court would entertain his claim ... and it will likely cost him $20k or more just to go to the table. Hopefully he's done.

Remain vigilant, document any suspicious events, and reports violations. Oh! And if you haven't, maybe invest in a big dog and/or a handgun (if you are comfortable with either).

Good luck!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">