• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is this slander?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Rpayne64

Here's my situation. I met someone on Craigslist and we were talking about our friends. She said her friend took care of her and paid all her bills. So I told her about my friend whom I also help with such things as, rent, car payment and other things. I told her my friend isn't working much at the moment and goes to school that's why I help. The only thing that wasn't true was the rent part, but honestly I don't know even about that as I gave my friend cash at times, so that could be used for rent I don't know. Also the person I was talking to wanted to see what my friend looked like so I sent her a picture of my friend, turns out they know each other and were friends that lost contact some time ago. Now the two of them are saying that they are going to sue me for slander, saying I said hurtful things about my friend. Like I said everything I told this person was true except the rent part. Is this slander? Thank you.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Here's my situation. I met someone on Craigslist and we were talking about our friends. She said her friend took care of her and paid all her bills. So I told her about my friend whom I also help with such things as, rent, car payment and other things. I told her my friend isn't working much at the moment and goes to school that's why I help. The only thing that wasn't true was the rent part, but honestly I don't know even about that as I gave my friend cash at times, so that could be used for rent I don't know. Also the person I was talking to wanted to see what my friend looked like so I sent her a picture of my friend, turns out they know each other and were friends that lost contact some time ago. Now the two of them are saying that they are going to sue me for slander, saying I said hurtful things about my friend. Like I said everything I told this person was true except the rent part. Is this slander? Thank you.
No. How was your friend's reputation harmed?

Rpayne64

Exactly, I don't know. Also the person I was talking to asked me if my friend and I had anything going on. I said no we did at one time but now only friends, and she doesn't show affection and that was the problem for me.

quincy

I don't think you have to worry about your friend suing you for slander, even if what you said was defamatory (and it does not appear to be).

Defamation suits are rather costly legal actions to pursue. Based on what you say, your friend would have to borrow money from you in order to sue you. If he asks, tell him "no."

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Observation: since neither of these people are self-supporting, the only way they can get a lawyer to help with a defamation lawsuit is if the lawyer takes the case on a contingency basis. That would mean the lawyer wouldn't get paid unless the lawsuit is successful, so lawyers generally don't do that unless the lawsuit is a slam dunk win with a big payout.

Of course, these users could dupe another person into paying a lawyer for them, because that seems how they're getting through life...

Rpayne64

Thanks everyone for your input, I think it's just some kind of scare tactic or just something they've concocted to try and teach me a lesson about talking to some stranger about your friend. It also could be a set up by friend now that I think about it just to see if I was talking to anyone else as my friend was wanting more than a friendship again. Thanks quincy for the link.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
That would mean the lawyer wouldn't get paid unless the lawsuit is successful, so lawyers generally don't do that unless the lawsuit is a slam dunk win with a big payout.
Not a “slam dunk.” There are very, very, very few of those sorts of cases, if any. What an attorney looks at when considering whether to take a case on a contigent fee basis is how likely it is that the attorney can win a judgment for the client, how much time the attorney is likely to spend on it, and how much that judgment is likely to be. While in general the higher the chance of success the more likely it is that the attorney will be interested, different lawyers have different risk tolerances on what cases they will take. A case that may only have a 50% chance to succeed may still be attractive to some lawyers when the potential damages if they succeed will be quite high, for example. A case that has a good chance of success but modest damages may still be worthwhile for the lawyer if the projected time to be spent on it is not all that much. Because each attorney weighs these differently a plantiff might wish to see a couple civil litigation attorneys to see if any might be interested in taking it on a contingent fee basis. Just because one lawyer says no does not mean they all will say no.

quincy

Thanks everyone for your input, I think it's just some kind of scare tactic or just something they've concocted to try and teach me a lesson about talking to some stranger about your friend. It also could be a set up by friend now that I think about it just to see if I was talking to anyone else as my friend was wanting more than a friendship again. Thanks quincy for the link.
The two of them are probably just messing with you. But you might want to rethink your generosity and friendships. ;)

The information in the DMLP link to the law, as a note, has not been updated since 2014 but the elements of defamation in your state remain the same today.

Good luck.

Rpayne64

I think you're right Quincy, after all what are the chances I meet someone off Craigslist that would actually know my friend. I think it's too much of a coincidence, from now on I'm most definitely holding back my generosity. Thanks again

quincy

I think you're right Quincy, after all what are the chances I meet someone off Craigslist that would actually know my friend. I think it's too much of a coincidence, from now on I'm most definitely holding back my generosity. Thanks again
We all appreciate thanks, Rpayne64, so thanks for that. :)

Good luck.

xylene

I hope you stop giving this person ANYTHING and learn the lesson that you should never give someone anything when that gift isn't is going to be able or willing to be reciprocated.

quincy

I hope you stop giving this person ANYTHING and learn the lesson that you should never give someone anything when that gift isn't is going to be able or willing to be reciprocated.
Oh, xylene. Please don't start with the reciprocal nonsense in this thread.

Rpayne64

I actually have broken off all communication with this person, her phone is off so I can't contact her anyway. Trust me when I say she will never get another dime from me. Thanks for you input xylene.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">