• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Slander to my business

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Midwestgal

I own a small business in Missouri. Recently, a customer visited my retail business, and, although she was a bit odd, she seemed pleased with services at the time. She even stated that she receives many calls each week on her job requesting the services my business offers, and that she would be happy to refer these calls to my business. After she received the custom product she ordered, her demeanor completely changed. She called my business (on my day off) to complain and demand a refund. That same day, before any resolution could even be discussed, she filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. When I returned to work the following day I tried unsuccessfully to reach her (still unaware of her BBB filing). I was able to reach her the next business day, and assured her she would be refunded. (This was not a legal neccessity, but I felt it was prudent, given her potential to harm my business' reputation through the "many inquiry calls" she receives.) I visited her personally, picked up the product she wanted to return and gave her a store invoice, reflecting her refund. She was all smiles and sweetness, and even seemed willing to come back into my business so that we could try again to make her happy. However, her demeanor changed drastically again when she didn't understand that I had not been able to credit her charge card until I actually had returned merchandise in hand. She has definitely been fully refunded, but she is still not a happy camper. And her behavior indicates that she is likely to bad mouth my business, even though I accomodated her in every way. Can I stop her from saying negative things to strangers about my business? If she does, do I have any recourse to protect my business' reputation?

T

tamwham2

IT would take more than one person to ruin your company's reputation, unless she is a high level person in your industry. she may have been dangling the carrort in front of you so that you would give her a special deal or attention,.

you seem frightened, is there in between the lines i am not getting? does she know someone that you know?

so, did you finally get the merchandize back and credit her card accordingly? how long did it take you to do it?

have you made a reply to the BBB with your story and any documentation.? BBB will determain if there is a real problem with your business or not her.

be carefull, if send too much time dealing with her and feeling badly and fearfull, it could REALLY cost you in the long run.

blow her off, there are too many other people you can give professional service to. (need spell check don't I!!)

also, start getthering referance letters from your happy clinets, have them on hand show people you are a good company. start collecting them now. people love to write referall letters, dont be embarrass, just ask (make sure they are happy of course!!)

M

Midwestgal

You were right to read between the lines. This "problem customer" is a receptionist for a large shopping mall's management office. My business is a part of a franchise. There used to be a branch of my business located at this customer's mall. Since there is no longer a branch of my business in that particular mall, this "problem customer" claims that she personally receives "3 to 5 phone calls a week", asking if the mall office knows of any branches of my business nearby. They don't ask for just my type of business...they ask for my business by name. I tend to believe that she does indeed receive at least a few calls a week about this. It was at her suggestion (the first time we met at my business) that I approach her mall's leasing agent to talk about possibly renting space there for my second store.

Since this "problem customer" is so volitile (i.e. NUTS), I can just imagine her saying "Why, yes. There is a branch of that company at XYZ location...but I wouldn't recommend it...blah, blah, blah." If she were just some regular kook, I'd say oh well. But since she is in a position to offer her opinion to strangers, should she choose to do so, she could unfairly cause my business harm. I think I may have a case for slander, should she make disparaging remarks (since she is acting as a representative of this mall when she answers the phone there) or if she states something that can be proven false. Of course, I wouldn't be suing the woman. I would be suing her employer (the mall's real estate company)...since she would be acting as their agent and since they are fully aware that this situation exsists.

The BBB said I have nothing to worry about on their end. They filed my info in their inter-company files, but my business still has a pristine reputation, as far as they are concerned. Therefore, should "problem customer" tell folks that my business has complaint(s) filed with the BBB, that would be false information. Even the BBB rep suggested I might have grounds for a lawsuit, perhaps even if this woman only offers her negative opinion. (The BBB says that would be inappropriate behavior on her part.) Of course, the only way to know that is for me to have associates check on her "phone etitquitte" occasionally...which I plan to do.

I know it seems like I'm spending way too much time on this fruitcake...but it's the priciple of it all. And I'm a "principle" kind of gal. It just makes me mad that a mall leasing office, whose sole business depends on the success of other businesses, would allow someone so unprofessional and un-business-friendly to be representing them. Heck...I'm a potential customer for them! (Although I sure don't have a good vibe about that mall now.)

Sorry for blowing off. But, you sort of asked. Thanks for the response. I had started thinking my problem was too boring for anyone to bother responding.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">