• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

So a lawsuit can stay open forever?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CliftonParkGMan

So If a defendant doesn't answer a lawsuit on time or at all the Plaintiff can get a Default Judgement.

But if the defendant files an answer and the Plaintiff can sit on that answer and file RJI whenever they want :mad: That seems insane. This would allow a Plaintiff to effectively toll the SOL and at a time over 7 1/2 years later when the defendant sees the C/O debt drop off of the CR. They could then in theory file an RJI and attempt to get a Default Judgement.

The reason I ask is because I am in that situation. Debt out of SOL and months from coming off of CR. Plaintiff filed a case in 2013 in New York. Answer Filed and no communication since then. Moved across the country in 2015 for work. Theoretically if they do not have current address they can appeal for attempted service but can't find defendant, a case can be put on calendar and default judgement can happen without the defendant even knowing. :eek:

I guess I am not relegated to regularly monitor eCourts. Tough part is because I filed an answer and did not bring up jurisdiction in my answer am I still precluded in doing so now. I live thousands of miles from NY now.

I don't understand how their are two sets of rules when it comes to time limits - one for plaintiffs and one for defendants. Sholdn't be surprised because these lawyers have lobbyists who write the laws and the regular people do not.

adjusterjack

The statute of limitations is the deadline for FILING a lawsuit. It has nothing to do with how long the case stays open.

In your case, the lawsuit was filed in 2013. You filed an answer and then the plaintiff did nothing with it and neither did you and then you left the state in 2015.

You should have filed for dismissal due to inactivity but you didn't.

Whatever happens now is on you.

If the plaintiff moves to revive the lawsuit, you'd have good cause to move for dismissal with prejudice.

There aren't two sets of rules for plaintiff and defendant, there is one set. Your problem is that you apparently are clueless about how it works and should probably be consulting with an attorney in NY about how to resolve this issue.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">