• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Supreme Court Briefs

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

barryjhealy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? South Dakota

What is the proper direction to pursue when the appellant misses their deadline in filing their first brief. They asked for more time but the court didnt rule on that yet and their deadline was last Wednesday. Should they have filed their brief while waiting for a ruling? Should we file for dismissal? Thanks in advance.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

What is the proper direction to pursue when the appellant misses their deadline in filing their first brief. They asked for more time but the court didnt rule on that yet and their deadline was last Wednesday. Should they have filed their brief while waiting for a ruling? Should we file for dismissal? Thanks in advance.
I'm sure the appellant's attorney can answer these questions.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member

U.S. Supreme Court? South Dakota Supreme Court? Some other court? The rules for each differ.

barryjhealy

Do you have counsel? If not, read the local rules for the South Dakota Supreme Court. If you ARE the counsel, read the local rules for the South Dakota Supreme Court.
Yes I have counsel. He has stated that we are in a gray area. I know that the penalty for not filing a brief timely is grounds for a dismissal yet I wonder how long do we wait to file such dismissal? Counsel has stated that he has never had someone miss their deadline before thus the gray area.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Yes I have counsel. He has stated that we are in a gray area. I know that the penalty for not filing a brief timely is grounds for a dismissal yet I wonder how long do we wait to file such dismissal? Counsel has stated that he has never had someone miss their deadline before thus the gray area.
Counsel should file to dismiss.

latigo

South Dakota Supreme Court
edit to add: I would be the appellee.
First, don't waste any time looking for OhioGal's "'local rules' for the South Dakota Supreme Court" as there aren't any "local rules" applicable to practicing before the highest court in any state, including OG's home state of Ohio!

Such a reference is as ignorant of the subject as saying that the Rules of the United States Supreme Court vary from state to state and territory to territory.

If you want to read the rules governing all appeals to the South Dakota Supreme Court you will find them beginning at Section 15 26A of the South Dakota Codified Laws entitled: The South Dakota Rules of Appellate Procedure. They apply equally to Aurora and Yankton County, South Dakota and all political subdivisions in between.

Secondly, although there is no specific language in these appellant rules contemplating the filing of a motion to dismiss an appeal because of the default in a timely filing of the appellant's brief it is permissive to do so.

However, it is to be noted that the timely filing of the appellant's brief is not jurisdictional; that is, it does not per se deprive the court of jurisdiction to rule on the merits of the appeal as would be in the case of a tardy notice of the appeal.

In other words, it is a matter of judicial discretion as was held in the SD Supreme Court decision in Dubray, Appellee, v. South Dakota Department of Social Services, Appellant, No. 23241 (Dec. 2004); to-wit:

"Thus, DuBray timely filed her notice of appeal, but she failed to timely file her brief and that default was excused for good cause shown. This Court has previously stated that under our analogous rules of appellate procedure “only failure to timely serve and file the notice of appeal is jurisdictionally fatal to an appeals validity, while lesser omissions may be subject to sanctions.” Western States Land Cattle Co., Inc., v. Lexington Ins. Co., 459 N.W.2d 429, 432 (S.D.1990). "

It is also worth of noting here that Dubray was 135 days late in the filing of her opening brief!

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
First, don't waste any time looking for OhioGal's "'local rules' for the South Dakota Supreme Court" as there aren't any "local rules" applicable to practicing before the highest court in any state, including OG's home state of Ohio!

Such a reference is as ignorant of the subject as saying that the Rules of the United States Supreme Court vary from state to state and territory to territory.

If you want to read the rules governing all appeals to the South Dakota Supreme Court you will find them beginning at Section 15 26A of the South Dakota Codified Laws entitled: The South Dakota Rules of Appellate Procedure. They apply equally to Aurora and Yankton County, South Dakota and all political subdivisions in between.

Secondly, although there is no specific language in these appellant rules contemplating the filing of a motion to dismiss an appeal because of the default in a timely filing of the appellant's brief it is permissive to do so.

However, it is to be noted that the timely filing of the appellant's brief is not jurisdictional; that is, it does not per se deprive the court of jurisdiction to rule on the merits of the appeal as would be in the case of a tardy notice of the appeal.

In other words, it is a matter of judicial discretion as was held in the SD Supreme Court decision in Dubray, Appellee, v. South Dakota Department of Social Services, Appellant, No. 23241 (Dec. 2004); to-wit:

"Thus, DuBray timely filed her notice of appeal, but she failed to timely file her brief and that default was excused for good cause shown. This Court has previously stated that under our analogous rules of appellate procedure “only failure to timely serve and file the notice of appeal is jurisdictionally fatal to an appeals validity, while lesser omissions may be subject to sanctions.” Western States Land Cattle Co., Inc., v. Lexington Ins. Co., 459 N.W.2d 429, 432 (S.D.1990). "

It is also worth of noting here that Dubray was 135 days late in the filing of her opening brief!
Actually Latigo is wrong. Ohio Supreme Court has local rules called Supreme Court rules of practice that are specific to the court ... but let him continue with arrogance. I have had to acquaint myself with them because I have filed in that court quite a few times. South Dakota most likely has similar rules though they might not be called local rules but they are specific to Supreme Court practice. Find them and read them.

FlyingRon

This is 100 % wrong. I don't know of any state that doesn't have it's own rules for the appellate system (all the way up to whatever they call the supreme court in the state in question).

Here's the SoDak Supreme Court rules: http://ujs.sd.gov/Supreme_Court/rules.aspx

quincy

First, don't waste any time looking for OhioGal's "'local rules' for the South Dakota Supreme Court" as there aren't any "local rules" applicable to practicing before the highest court in any state, including OG's home state of Ohio! ...
As an aside: I have seen Ohiogal present arguments before Ohio's Supreme Court. She seems to know pretty well what Ohio's local rules are. :)

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
Actually Latigo is wrong. Ohio Supreme Court has local rules called Supreme Court rules of practice that are specific to the court ... but let him continue with arrogance. I have had to acquaint myself with them because I have filed in that court quite a few times. South Dakota most likely has similar rules though they might not be called local rules but they are specific to Supreme Court practice. Find them and read them.
The issue is one of terminology that may differ in different jurisdictions. In many court systems, the term “local rules” means a rule that applies to a subset of a group of courts at the same level level. For example, in the federal system, there are rules of appellate procedure that apply to all the courts of appeal. But each circuit has its own local rules in addition to those. Similarly, within each circuit are several district courts, and in each of those district courts the federal rules of civil procedure and criminal procedure apply to all of them, as do any circuit rules of their circuit, but each court might also have its own “local rules.” Thus in the federal system, the U.S. Supreme Court rules, though they apply to just that one court, are not known as “local rules”. The same is true in the jurisdictions in which I practice. The state supreme court rules, though they apply to just that court, are not called “local rules.” And in those states with a single appeals court the appellate court rules, though they apply to just one court, are not local rules either. There are then rules that apply to all the trial courts. But each trial court might also have its own rules. It is those individual court rules — different rules for each court/subset of courts among a group of courts at the same level that are known as “local rules.” So I can understand where latigo is coming from. But nothing precludes using the term differently in other jurisdiction and apparently Ohio is one that does.

Last edited:

quincy

I think only latigo seems to have been confused by "local rules." It did not confuse me or FlyingRon.

Last edited:

latigo

Seems to me that those rules are "local" to the state of S.D. ;)
I don't believe that you truly want people to believe that you believe that South Dakota's rules covering the practice before the state's supreme court should bear the designation "local rules" simply because they don't apply to the courts of any other state.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">