• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Are we in trouble

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

quincy

we live in Indiana and helped him hide his stuff from landlord that won a judgement. I just found out about fraudulent conveyance. Could my grandparents be liable if they helped him hide his stuff?
What is the "stuff" that was hidden? And why?

xylene

we live in Indiana and helped him hide his stuff from landlord that won a judgement. I just found out about fraudulent conveyance. Could my grandparents be liable if they helped him hide his stuff?
Could you flesh out this whole situation? Who is "him"? Who are you to the situation? What was the judgment over and what is the property involved?

adjusterjack

Indiana exempts lots of "stuff" from judgment. Because of that, and the cost and inconvenience of trying to attach "stuff," landlords seldom go after "stuff."

It's unlikely that anything will come of helping him hide his "stuff."

On the remote chance that anything does come of it, all the landlord has to do is summon the former tenant to court where the former tenant will have to reveal, under oath and subject to penalty for perjury, what his "stuff" is and where it's located.

latigo

No! Not to worry.

The mere "act" of concealing a person's assets to prevent them from being attached and applied in payment of the owner's creditors is not a crime. * Therefore aiding and abetting the act of concealment is not a crime. Nor does it result in civil liability.

In this context the term "fraudulent conveyance" refers to state wide statutes addressing transfers made in fraud of creditors. Briefly they allow a creditor to set aside or void certain transfers of a debtor's assets when made for inadequate consideration and which render the debtor insolvent or judgment proof. And it is a civil issue, not criminal per se.

Anyway I'm sure you agree and have cautioned the grandparents to attended to their own affairs and not meddle in the questionable affairs of others.

Have a good one.

[*] Please note that I chose the word "act" advisedly. For the debtor/owner to lie about such concealment or faili to disclosed it when relevant and under penalty of perjury, as under the Federal Bankruptcy Code, is a crime.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">