• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Will Not Return My Lost Dog

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

KPP2020

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I am distressed and need help. I have relocated from my home for several months while receiving medical treatment. I left my dog in the care of my sister and he ran away from her yard several months ago. My sister and niece placed missing dog signs in their area and searched community online pages. My dog was found per the posting, but when the finder was contacted by my sister she refused to give my dog back. I love my dog as I have had him for 7 years. The only contact information I have is the person's phone number and she answered and when I discussed my dog she claimed she did not know what I was talking about and immediately hung up. She then immediately removed the posting from the community facebook page. I am devastated. Do I have any options to get my beloved dog back. How cruel can a person be. Why even post that she found him, if she has no intention of returning him to his rightful owner. Help please!!!

Unfortunately I have seen this situation happen all too often (I am involved in lost and found pet issues daily in NE Florida). Unless the dog was stolen (with evidence), the police will usually regard this as a civil matter for court resolution. It is worth a call to the local police to see what they say. SOME local city/county animal control departments may be able to offer additional useful information. The length of time the other person has had the dog may also come into play.

What has worked in some of these situations is contacting the local TV news stations (it is hit and miss on getting them to do a news story on it). Also keep missing dog signs up where allowed and give a missing dog flyer to any vets and groomers in the area you think your dog is being held at in case they see the dog. You mentioned the finder had a Facebook post about the found dog that was deleted ... you need to put up your own missing dog post on the same Facebook page and any other Facebook lost and found pet pages for your area. Repost it every few days. Social media pressure has worked in some cases to convince the person who has the dog to give it back. It is best to only put the facts about your situation in your missing dog post (do not put someone's name or phone number who you suspect may have your dog in the post). Facebook is one of the most effective tools for reuniting lost and found pets, I see it everyday.

If your dog in microchipped, notify the microchip company and let them know about the situation.

In some cases a found dog held from an owner will get away from that person or the person will dump the dog off somewhere and the dog will be found again by someone else and returned. Never give up hope.

Reasons people post a found dog looking for the owner and then decide not to give it back include: growing fond of the dog and deciding to keep it, the dog got away and they don't want to admit it, they gave the dog to someone else already, they are concerned the person claiming the dog is not the real owner (the person claiming the dog lacks proof of ownership), the dog is in poor shape and they think it has been neglected (often times, a dog that has certain medical conditions or has been on the streets a while will appear to have been neglected by the owner when in fact it wasn't).

Hoping you get your dog back soon...

pe315512

You simple do not have a case. why someone would have the intentions to contact you to inform you of a missing animal thus incriminate themselves by not giving back the dog and risk the police being informed if proven the dog is faithfully yours as real ownership?

quincy

You simple do not have a case. why someone would have the intentions to contact you to inform you of a missing animal thus incriminate themselves by not giving back the dog and risk the police being informed if proven the dog is faithfully yours as real ownership?
pe315512, I suggest both you and KPP2020 read the post written by coolmaltese. It was a nicely-crafted piece of writing that explained well the options available to KPP2020.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">