• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

craigslist ad

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lowkeyx

I posted a craigslist ad using photos of a woman without her permission. It was something that we had discussed. She found out and filed a police report. Gave the police all of the information she knew about me. And also contacted craigslist. What does a police report mean? Should I get an attorney? My photo was on the ad too. Which she gave the police a copy of. I am in the state of Michigan.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I posted a craigslist ad using photos of a woman without her permission. It was something that we had discussed. She found out and filed a police report. Gave the police all of the information she knew about me. And also contacted craigslist. What does a police report mean? Should I get an attorney? My photo was on the ad too. Which she gave the police a copy of.
Sorry, this for is for US law matters only. Since you didn't give us the name of your state, we can only assume that you aren't in the US.

quincy

I posted a craigslist ad using photos of a woman without her permission. It was something that we had discussed. She found out and filed a police report. Gave the police all of the information she knew about me. And also contacted craigslist. What does a police report mean? Should I get an attorney? My photo was on the ad too. Which she gave the police a copy of.
What is the name of your state?

What sort of photo was it? How did you acquire the photo?

A police report means that the woman whose photo you published without her permission believes you committed a crime. The police will investigate to determine whether you did or not.

If not a crime, you at the very least violated her right to control the use of her own image commercially. A civil action potentially could be pursued against you.

If you are contacted by the police, I recommend you exercise your right to remain silent. Do not answer any questions posed to you by the police. Instead say that all questions should be directed to your attorney - and have an attorney to whom all questions can be directed.

lowkeyx

What is the name of your state?

What sort of photo was it? How did you acquire the photo?

A police report means that the woman whose photo you published without her permission believes you committed a crime. The police will investigate to determine whether you did or not.

If not a crime, you at the very least violated her right to control the use of her own image commercially. A civil action potentially could be pursued against you.

If you are contacted by the police, I recommend you exercise your right to remain silent. Do not answer any questions posed to you by the police. Instead say that all questions should be directed to your attorney - and have an attorney to whom all questions can be directed.
I am in the state of Michigan. She had sent me naked photos of herself. Plus a face pic which were posted as a sex ad as a couple.

quincy

I am in the state of Michigan. She had sent me naked photos of herself. Plus a face pic which were posted as a sex ad as a couple.
Ah. I hope you are both adults.

Even if you are both adults, you should probably start looking for an attorney in your area now. I suspect you will need one soon.

Good luck.

quincy

How would the police contact me?
How? Possibly a phone call from a detective asking you to come in. Possibly a knock on the door.

A knock on the door would be likely if you have been charged with a crime or if a search warrant has been issued for, say, your computer or cell phone. A seizure of your computer or cell phone would be likely if the person pictured in the photo is or was underage at the time the photos were taken.

You should locate an attorney in your area who you can get ahold of quickly should the police contact you. You will also want an attorney if you are served with a summons and complaint, should a lawsuit be filed against you.

The time to find legal assistance for a civil action stands to be greater than the time you will have if charged with a crime.

Good luck.

lowkeyx

How? Possibly a phone call from a detective asking you to come in. Possibly a knock on the door.

A knock on the door would be likely if you have been charged with a crime or if a search warrant has been issued for, say, your computer or cell phone. A seizure of your computer or cell phone would be likely if the person pictured in the photo is or was underage at the time the photos were taken.

You should locate an attorney in your area who you can get ahold of quickly should the police contact you. You will also want an attorney if you are served with a summons and complaint, should a lawsuit be filed against you.

The time to find legal assistance for a civil action stands to be greater than the time you will have if charged with a crime.

Good luck.
What kind of attorney should I get?

CdwJava

The pertinent question under the law (MCL 750.145e) would seem to be your intent. WHY did you post a naked picture of her without her permission? Is this an ex-girlfriend? Someone who spurned your advances? What did you hope to accomplish by posting her image in the ad?

quincy

What kind of attorney should I get?
You can speak with a criminal defense attorney first so you can better gauge what sort of criminal trouble you may have gotten yourself into.

What is the age of the female whose picture you used without her knowledge or consent?

Again, there potentially are both criminal and civil actions that can be pursued against you. Speaking with an attorney now is wise and advised.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">