• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Minor caught shoplifted--store separates mother from minor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cafamily

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California.
As my wife and kids left a store, security guards stopped them and accused my 12-year old son of shoplifting a headset--they were right (and there will be hell to pay at home). Store employees whisked my son off to a locked room to question him while my wife (overwhelmed at the moment) was making sure our other kids were in a safe place. My wife objected to the security guard about not being able to be present in the room, but the door was locked and he wouldn't let her in the room even though she identified herself as his mother and that he was a minor. Just then, a friend walked in the store and my wife told him what was happening. He requested to speak to the manager and our friend and my wife both told the manager they had to let her in. The manager said no. Our friend said, ''Then the interview ends now!'' and the manager relented. This was before the police arrived and did their own interview. While I am embarrassed by the actions of my son, were his civil rights violated by being separated from his mother even when she told the security guard and store manager that she wanted to be in the locked room with our son? Store officials say it is protocol to separate the violator even if he's a minor; it's a national chain.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">