• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ramp and sidewalk

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mandy23

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Missouri

My fiance is disabled and uses a power chair to get around. We had to build a ramp to get his wheelchair into the home. We also have a fence because of our dog being deaf. Anyway here is my issue. The city I live in got a bunch of money from the federal government due to a massive tornado and decided to spend it to widen the residential streets so they can have bike lanes and wider sidewalks. Is there anything I can do to protect his rights?

Just Blue

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Missouri

My fiance is disabled and uses a power chair to get around. We had to build a ramp to get his wheelchair into the home. We also have a fence because of our dog being deaf. Anyway here is my issue. The city I live in got a bunch of money from the federal government due to a massive tornado and decided to spend it to widen the residential streets so they can have bike lanes and wider sidewalks. Is there anything I can do to protect his rights?
Is the city taking part of your property in order to do this? If not....Could you please clarify how this will affect your husbands rights?

mandy23

Is the city taking part of your property in order to do this? If not....Could you please clarify how this will affect your husbands rights?
yes they are. The yards in this area butt right up to the sidewalk so there is very little margin like maybe 2-3 inches. The ramp was built with a landing and 2 ramps on going toward the sidewalk and then turning to run parallel to the fence so that it met 1:12 requirements for ADA. so to widen the sidewalk they will have to take down the fence and most likely the ramp as there is only 3 inches between the ramp and the fence.

LdiJ

yes they are. The yards in this area butt right up to the sidewalk so there is very little margin like maybe 2-3 inches. The ramp was built with a landing and 2 ramps on going toward the sidewalk and then turning to run parallel to the fence so that it met 1:12 requirements for ADA. so to widen the sidewalk they will have to take down the fence and most likely the ramp as there is only 3 inches between the ramp and the fence.
Could the ramp be rebuilt and still usable after the widening? If so, the city might be required to provide compensation to rebuild the ramp.

mandy23

Could the ramp be rebuilt and still usable after the widening? If so, the city might be required to provide compensation to rebuild the ramp.

thats what im worried about--my fiance had to have a wider wheelchair so the ramp is 36 inches wide which leaves him 2 inches on each side of his wheelchair.

LdiJ

thats what im worried about--my fiance had to have a wider wheelchair so the ramp is 36 inches wide which leaves him 2 inches on each side of his wheelchair.
I really think that your fiancé needs to consult with a local attorney.

LdiJ

ok thanks--what kind do we need--im assuming his disability lawyer but i may be wrong.
That would be a good place to start. His disability lawyer can likely refer him to someone else if he isn't the best type of attorney to handle the matter.

FlyingRon

On the other hand, your dog's disability means nothing. You have no innate right to a fence (in fact, front yard fences are highly restricted in most places).

quincy

On the other hand, your dog's disability means nothing. You have no innate right to a fence (in fact, front yard fences are highly restricted in most places).
Really?

In the cities I have lived in, front yard fences are pretty common.

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
Have you contacted the city to see what the plans actually are? You may be jumping the gun on assuming there's going to be an issue.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">