• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What is the Age of adult in florida,usa?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tommywolf1155

Is 18 years old the age of adult?Im asking this because my therapist and parents keep saying that 21 years old is the age of adult and not 18.More info:i live in florida and im 19 years old https://forum.freeadvice.com/images/smilies/confused.gif

adjusterjack

Is 18 years old the age of adult?Im asking this because my therapist and parents keep saying that 21 years old is the age of adult and not 18.More info:i live in florida and im 19 years old https://forum.freeadvice.com/images/smilies/confused.gif
The statutory age of majority in FL is 18 (21 for alcohol).

But if you are living with your parents and are dependent upon them at all for support then the age of "adulthood" is when you get a job, move out, and support yourself without their help.

Till then you obey their rules.

Get it?

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
As others have stated, 18. Unless, of course, there's a court order that states otherwise due to a disability.

latigo

As others have stated, 18. Unless, of course, there's a court order that states otherwise due to a disability.
You mean to say that a court can turn an adult into a minor?

Maybe Hernando should have been seeking a courthouse instead of a fountain?

HRZ

ITs not that Hernando was lost its that in some states a parent is required to supply support for a disabled child who is unable to care for himself for a longer period...perhaps as long as the disability exists ... in general you are fee to cut the cord and bail at 18

tommywolf1155

Well i was diagnosed with autism at age like 16.But now i realize at age(18) that it was a misdiagnosis and because i really dont have autism.Later on im going to request my medical records and finally amend my medical record to make a note where the diagnosis of autism is.I already know how to do this but currently im completing highschool via online schooling to then go to college in another state.I could give more details just ask...I would like more info on what shadowbunny said :O.And yes i currently live with my parents

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You mean to say that a court can turn an adult into a minor?

Maybe Hernando should have been seeking a courthouse instead of a fountain?
If one has guardianship (or its equivalent in the op's state) over an adult, then they are, effectively, able to have control over said adult in much the same way as parent has control over a minor child. I know you knew that though... :rolleyes:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Well i was diagnosed with autism at age like 16.But now i realize at age(18) that it was a misdiagnosis and because i really dont have autism.Later on im going to request my medical records and finally amend my medical record to make a note where the diagnosis of autism is.I already know how to do this but currently im completing highschool via online schooling to then go to college in another state.I could give more details just ask...I would like more info on what shadowbunny said :O.And yes i currently live with my parents
Ahhh, well in that case, if you don't like the rules, get a place of your own. (As you were told above.)

commentator

Who's paying for college? You will find that he who has the gold makes the rules, regardless of your age. If you plan to continue to live with your parents and they are going to send you to college, support you while you continue your schooling, then they can control a whole lot of what you do and what happens. The more financially independent you are, the more freedom you have, regardless of your actual age.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
It sounds as though the parents may well have guardianship of Tommy until age 21.

Tommy - what makes you certain that you are not autistic?

xylene

This 'gold' business is nonsense. The control is in withdrawing the 'gold', nothing else.

Accepting money for college or education or living with parents does not obligate the adult to any level of control or require adherence to any rules with any consequence beyond the withdrawal of that support.

Of course guardianship would be a different situation, but the adult would have substantial rights under such a situation, especially one capable of articulating their own interest and will in general and to the court.

xylene

Many autistic adults cope with life and manage their own affairs under conditions of self sufficiency and even great success.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">