• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Able to Sign a Lease while in Chapter 13?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

craig1023

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

So it's official, the home from my prior thread is on the market and the 60 day for divorce completion is about 2 weeks away. I'm aware that the home closing cannot complete until the buyer's order has been reviewed by the trustee and approved (supposedly adds around 21 days to the process). My question is, now I need to get packing and get a lot of stuff out of the home and into an apartment but first I need to get an apartment.

I do recall I am not permitted to open new lines of credit or incur debt.

Am I permitted to sign a lease for an apartment so I have a place to move my belongings to? I'd remain current on the mortgage obviously.
How about when I start service for utilities? I don't consider those lines of credit or debt but perhaps the courts do?

Thanks!

adjusterjack

Am I permitted to sign a lease for an apartment so I have a place to move my belongings to? I'd remain current on the mortgage obviously.
How about when I start service for utilities? I don't consider those lines of credit or debt but perhaps the courts do?
I can't imagine that any part of the bankruptcy law would prevent you from doing any of that.

Check with your bankruptcy attorney just to make sure.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">