• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Chapter 7 - Souvenirs, folk art, religious items - have VPP, but pennies on dollar?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NBrazil

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

A combination of poor (ongoing) health and medical bills that kind of kept on adding up has put me in a position of not being able to pay my bills for the first time in my 62 year life. All savings have been eaten up by it too.

Several attorneys have advised that Chapter 7 is appropriate. I have begun filling out the paperwork. Anyway there is a section for "other assets" such as stocks/bonds, antiques, valuable collections, cash value, jewelry and so on. I have travelled extensively and have collected what I consider "art" in the form of Thankas, Religious statuary and folk art and miscellaneous items hard to classify (other religious items).

Because of a fire in a neighbor's condo unit, I got a Valuable Property Protection policy in which I list these items and insured them. While I have an emotional attachment to most of the items, I could see liquidating some of them, but the "other religious items" are beyond value, because they are tools to my religious practice and irreplaceable. Actually, most of the items are irreplaceable, I just insured them to get what I thought was a reasonable monetary compensation in the event of a fire.

I would rather go into default and face the wrath of collection agencies than have them on the table to be liquidated.

When I brought up the topic (so far communicating in emails as I prepare paperwork), this is how the attorney responded:

"I am not concerned about your household items/souvenirs from your trips, and you shouldn't be either. I have not had a client who was grilled about specific household items by a Chapter 7 trustee, and I have not had a Chapter 7 Trustee request more information about specifics of what's in a house and no Trustee has ever, that I know of, visited a house to take inventory, etc.

I typically do a laundry list of items and have never gotten any feedback, good or bad, from the trustee. This is what I typically put down, and then I tweak it once I sit down with the client and see if there's more or less:

"Miscellaneous household goods and items, including bedroom set, living room set, kitchen table and chairs, desk, bookshelves, washer and dryer, appliances, 2 television sets, computer, pots and pans, dishes, cutlery."

When I use this laundry list, I usually value it at $3500.

You have a household goods exemption that totals $5000, so this household goods exemption typically covers a whole household. Think about it: you are in a condo, and many others are in houses, and I have not heard even a "boo" from a Trustee that they don't expect how I list it.

As far as the insurance rider, I have never had a Trustee ask if one exists or to see one.

While I realize your items have value, keep in mind that what we are interested in is GARAGE SALE VALUE. Really, what is someone going to give you for the African statute or paperweight from Thailand. They are not going to pay for sentimental value (which is worth a lot, I agree, but does NOT translate to value in terms of $ for the item on the bankruptcy petition). When we do this exercise I will ask you kindly, and you can start that process now, to disengage yourself from the sentimental aspects of your household items and review them with a fiscal goal."

Given that the largest credit card balance is with the insurance company that has this itemized rider, is the attorney's approach reasonable? I don't want to risk these items, but even more so, don't want to be fraudulent.

Yes, pennies on the dollar in liquidation is a reasonable assumption (I've seen two estates liquidated) to me, but I'm still feeling worried. Won't have my meeting for two weeks with the attorney. Hard for me to "believe" that a Trustee holding the VPP wouldn't ignore it.

Note: I'm current, not in arrears with anything and will be such when I go into this process. I have a chronic illness and struggling to work otherwise I would work out a plan.

Proserpina

A combination of poor (ongoing) health and medical bills that kind of kept on adding up has put me in a position of not being able to pay my bills for the first time in my 62 year life. All savings have been eaten up by it too.

Several attorneys have advised that Chapter 7 is appropriate. I have begun filling out the paperwork. Anyway there is a section for "other assets" such as stocks/bonds, antiques, valuable collections, cash value, jewelry and so on. I have travelled extensively and have collected what I consider "art" in the form of Thankas, Religious statuary and folk art and miscellaneous items hard to classify (other religious items).

Because of a fire in a neighbor's condo unit, I got a Valuable Property Protection policy in which I list these items and insured them. While I have an emotional attachment to most of the items, I could see liquidating some of them, but the "other religious items" are beyond value, because they are tools to my religious practice and irreplaceable. Actually, most of the items are irreplaceable, I just insured them to get what I thought was a reasonable monetary compensation in the event of a fire.

I would rather go into default and face the wrath of collection agencies than have them on the table to be liquidated.

When I brought up the topic (so far communicating in emails as I prepare paperwork), this is how the attorney responded:

"I am not concerned about your household items/souvenirs from your trips, and you shouldn't be either. I have not had a client who was grilled about specific household items by a Chapter 7 trustee, and I have not had a Chapter 7 Trustee request more information about specifics of what's in a house and no Trustee has ever, that I know of, visited a house to take inventory, etc.

I typically do a laundry list of items and have never gotten any feedback, good or bad, from the trustee. This is what I typically put down, and then I tweak it once I sit down with the client and see if there's more or less:

"Miscellaneous household goods and items, including bedroom set, living room set, kitchen table and chairs, desk, bookshelves, washer and dryer, appliances, 2 television sets, computer, pots and pans, dishes, cutlery."

When I use this laundry list, I usually value it at $3500.

You have a household goods exemption that totals $5000, so this household goods exemption typically covers a whole household. Think about it: you are in a condo, and many others are in houses, and I have not heard even a "boo" from a Trustee that they don't expect how I list it.

As far as the insurance rider, I have never had a Trustee ask if one exists or to see one.

While I realize your items have value, keep in mind that what we are interested in is GARAGE SALE VALUE. Really, what is someone going to give you for the African statute or paperweight from Thailand. They are not going to pay for sentimental value (which is worth a lot, I agree, but does NOT translate to value in terms of $ for the item on the bankruptcy petition). When we do this exercise I will ask you kindly, and you can start that process now, to disengage yourself from the sentimental aspects of your household items and review them with a fiscal goal."

Given that the largest credit card balance is with the insurance company that has this itemized rider, is the attorney's approach reasonable? I don't want to risk these items, but even more so, don't want to be fraudulent.

Yes, pennies on the dollar in liquidation is a reasonable assumption (I've seen two estates liquidated) to me, but I'm still feeling worried. Won't have my meeting for two weeks with the attorney. Hard for me to "believe" that a Trustee holding the VPP wouldn't ignore it.

Note: I'm current, not in arrears with anything and will be such when I go into this process. I have a chronic illness and struggling to work otherwise I would work out a plan.

I tend to agree with the attorney. Having "sat in" on more than a few 341 meetings, not once have I ever seen someone quizzed to any great extent by the trustee even if they've had a VPP or similar. In a simple Ch.7, it's often a case of cattle herds being shuffled through as quickly as possible. When I say "quickly", I mean each person was in and out in about 5 minutes.

Seeking a second opinion is always worthwhile, and so is asking at a particularly good bk forum that's probably the first hit you'll get if you Google "bk forum" or similar.

adjusterjack

Given that the largest credit card balance is with the insurance company that has this itemized rider, is the attorney's approach reasonable?
Yes.

I recently helped my friend do his inventory of personally property and, at pennies on the dollar, everything in his house totaled $3100 and that included workshop tools.

Besides, the part of your insurance company that deals with your credit card is separate from the part that deals with your insurance and very likely even separate companies that don't trade information because of the privacy laws regarding insurance and credit cards.

NBrazil

Yes.

I recently helped my friend do his inventory of personally property and, at pennies on the dollar, everything in his house totaled $3100 and that included workshop tools.

Besides, the part of your insurance company that deals with your credit card is separate from the part that deals with your insurance and very likely even separate companies that don't trade information because of the privacy laws regarding insurance and credit cards.
Okay, I'm feeling better about being pushed into this. To be clear, SOME of the items aren't "trinkets." For example, a limited edition art print "valued" at $2,000 - but a similar item recently sold for $800. Some of the "religious art pieces" are actually still available and list price IS correct on the VPP. But the gist of what I'm getting is these cases are handled quickly - in and out, almost boiler plate for the common folk. I just don't want to be arrested for fraud on down the way.

Thanks.

NBrazil

One more thing, because I did mention this to the attorney verbally.

I have a whopping 1 oz of Gold and 20 oz of silver. Is this small amount considered an "asset?" After paying the attorney I will probably have around $800 left in the bank. Again?

Because I feel concerned about interest rates going up, I will try to refinance before the BK (while I still have a 785 FICO score) - not to draw out money, but to consolidate a HELOC into a fixed rate. The attorney said that is fine to do before, after, whenever (obviously before is better).

Anyway, this is sort of a limited second opinion. It sounds like she is on top of things for our limited email communications before the initial official office meeting.

adjusterjack

SOME of the items aren't "trinkets." For example, a limited edition art print "valued" at $2,000 - but a similar item recently sold for $800.
I think you will have a problem with that because the bankruptcy Schedule B Personal Property includes the following separate classification (in addition to the household goods mentioned by the attorney):

5. Books; pictures and other art
objects; antiques; stamp, coin,
record, tape, compact disc, and other
collections or collectibles.

http://www.uscourts.gov/file/441/download

I think it's obvious that the intention is to determine items of exceptional value that aren't going to be categorized as worth "pennies on the dollar."

I hope you understand the inherent problem of getting "general" information from attorneys when they aren't aware of your "specifics." Your "specifics" can change a lot of that "general" information in a very unpleasant way.

I have a whopping 1 oz of Gold and 20 oz of silver. Is this small amount considered an "asset?"
Yes, it's an asset and you'll have to list it at whatever the price for gold and silver is at the time of your filing. Today an ounce of gold is $1174.00 and 20 ounces of silver is $316.80.

Last edited:

quincy

... Won't have my meeting for two weeks with the attorney. Hard for me to "believe" that a Trustee holding the VPP wouldn't ignore it.

First, we have a bankruptcy attorney who posts to this site on occasion. I have sent a message to see if this forum member can look over your thread and offer you some advice and direction.

There are a few things that you have posted that have me concerned over your filing for bankruptcy. One concern is that you say you are "not in arrears with anything" and another is that you say you have "ongoing" medical expenses and yet another is your art collection, stocks/bonds, antiques and other assets.

This might not be the best time for you to be thinking of filing for bankruptcy.

I think it is good that you will be sitting down with a bankruptcy attorney in two weeks but you should know that there are bankruptcy services available in Georgia for senior citizens and you might want to look into these.

NBrazil

First, we have a bankruptcy attorney who posts to this site on occasion. I have sent a message to see if this forum member can look over your thread and offer you some advice and direction.

There are a few things that you have posted that have me concerned over your filing for bankruptcy. One concern is that you say you are "not in arrears with anything" and another is that you say you have "ongoing" medical expenses and yet another is your art collection, stocks/bonds, antiques and other assets.

This might not be the best time for you to be thinking of filing for bankruptcy.

I think it is good that you will be sitting down with a bankruptcy attorney in two weeks but you should know that there are bankruptcy services available in Georgia for senior citizens and you might want to look into these.
Appreciate it. I really do.

Why should I wait until I'm being harassed by collectors? Within 60 days I will not be able to pay my bills. I burned through my resources and I'm at the end of them. I was not sure this would happen when I first contacted this attorney about 6 months ago and I was advised to stop paying everyone. It may just be me, but I feel strongly that as long as I can pay, I did not want to go bankrupt. I was told it was wasted money, and I said, so be it.

At the time my health was worse than now and I thought I might really be fired or be unable to work and so I would immediately take Social Security and file for disability. If that happened I was advised NOT to bankrupt because I would be untouchable with only SS as income. But that didn't happen. It still might, but - again, guess I'm stubborn, as long as I can pay I will/did. I'm about to crash financially.

I have been forthwith considering everything, and two attorneys have said I should do Chapter 7 (in two brief initial/free consultations before settling one one) (but, as you can see, stuff is coming out) or if I lose my job, default. I'm in a Schroedinger's Cat situation, having to play two possibilities simultaneously. But thanks.

quincy

Appreciate it. I really do.

Why should I wait until I'm being harassed by collectors? Within 60 days I will not be able to pay my bills. I burned through my resources and I'm at the end of them. I was not sure this would happen when I first contacted this attorney about 6 months ago and I was advised to stop paying everyone. It may just be me, but I feel strongly that as long as I can pay, I did not want to go bankrupt. I was told it was wasted money, and I said, so be it.

At the time my health was worse than now and I thought I might really be fired or be unable to work and so I would immediately take Social Security and file for disability. If that happened I was advised NOT to bankrupt because I would be untouchable with only SS as income. But that didn't happen. It still might, but - again, guess I'm stubborn, as long as I can pay I will/did. I'm about to crash financially.

I have been forthwith considering everything, and two attorneys have said I should do Chapter 7 (in two brief initial/free consultations before settling one one) (but, as you can see, stuff is coming out) or if I lose my job, default. I'm in a Schroedinger's Cat situation, having to play two possibilities simultaneously. But thanks.
One reason that I can see offhand that it might benefit you to wait is that you say you have ongoing medical issues and these medical issues can result in more medical debt. These additional bills would not be included in any bankruptcy filing should you consider filing now.

I have heard back from the forum member I mentioned earlier and your thread will be reviewed. My concerns may, at that time, be discounted and bankruptcy seen as the logical solution to your current debt. I am not an expert in bankruptcy law.

But I ask that you please wait until later for the additional comments. Thanks.

NBrazil

It does my heart good to see somebody else who understands the Schrodinger's Cat reference.

Anyway, let's see what the BK person has to say.
Last comment, don't want to be a pen pal.

If this turns out to be too crazy / hard to do, the only thing I have is Plan B.

Have Clearpoint work out a payment plan for 30¢ on the dollar, or about $250/month for 5 years and start paying on it. I'm four years away from "full retirement" - if I should last so long. I'll either make it or not (chronic health issues not covered by insurance), but once I do retire, I can default because I would be untouchable. (Broke, social security only and probably food stamps).

So either I can do Chapter 7 OR work out a plan to pay on as long as possible until I retire and default is how I see it.

All will be discussed with the attorney I have on retainer. Sigh.

Onward. I try and keep my sense of humor.

quincy

Last comment, don't want to be a pen pal.

If this turns out to be too crazy / hard to do, the only thing I have is Plan B.

Have Clearpoint work out a payment plan for 30¢ on the dollar, or about $250/month for 5 years and start paying on it. I'm four years away from "full retirement" - if I should last so long. I'll either make it or not (chronic health issues not covered by insurance), but once I do retire, I can default because I would be untouchable. (Broke, social security only and probably food stamps).

So either I can do Chapter 7 OR work out a plan to pay on as long as possible until I retire and default is how I see it.

All will be discussed with the attorney I have on retainer. Sigh.

Onward. I try and keep my sense of humor.
Again, you will get some bankruptcy advice later (look for a post by despritfreya) - although you didn't mention before that you had already retained an attorney. Advice from the attorney you hired is the advice you should rely on, as this attorney will have access to your complete financial situation.

Last edited:

single317dad

but once I do retire, I can default because I would be untouchable. (Broke, social security only and probably food stamps).
Don't count on being completely uncollectable in that case. Personal assets can be seized above a statutory value. The GA garnishment laws were recently found unconstitutional in a federal court, so those will likely be rewritten and any specifics I provide now will be obsolete by the time you need them, but rest assured there will be some mechanism by which creditors can levy your bank accounts (minus the funds from Social Security and pensions) and personal property.

You'll also lose any chance of getting even a small loan if you completely tank your credit, so if (for example) your car needs new tires desperately, you won't be able to get a short term loan to buy them.

My opinion (which you should take with a grain of salt) is that while your lawyer was very tactful in his response, you should think carefully about this bankruptcy. BK is not generally a proactive solution, and it seems you're using it that way. Stand by for more opinions that will carry more weight than my own.

I have read through this thread and have a few comments/observations.

1. The comments above are good and give you different points of view. None of them should be discounted. You have options and they have been pointed out.

2. As you know, you are required to disclose all assets including collectibles, art objects, gold bars, etc.

3. If you are concerned over the “liquidation” value of the assets (gold/silver has a stated market price), you get the items appraised. You do this to confirm your attny’s belief that your valuation is too high and you do this for piece of mind. When we have issues like this we contact a local auctioneer who happens to be the auctioneer used by bk trustees. Ask your attny for the referral.

4. I believe Georgia is an “opt out” state meaning you can only exempt (protect) in bk what is exempt under state law. Georgia has both a household goods exemption and a wildcard. I do not practice in your state but my guess is that your “items/souvenirs” will be under the allowed exemption(s). You and your attny can work this out.

5. If you have on-going medical bills, you may want to wait a bit to file (but not 4 years - see below). Try to wait until your treatment is as close to being over as possible (I recognize that it is a chronic issue). Remember, debt incurred after filing you will be responsible for.

6. Waiting 4 years until you retire makes little sense and such has little to do with whether or not your become “judgment proof”. You are worried about this now therefore, unless you have an iron constitution, waiting is going to increase your anxiety and lead to a decease in your overall health, something that appears to be an issue now.

7. I have no problem with you refinancing the home to consolidate two mortgages. Just remember to disclose the transaction as a “transfer” on question 10 of the Statement of Financial Affairs. It is a “transfer” since you will be giving a new lender a security interest in the home and utilizing the loan to pay off the other two lenders (who will release their liens).

I see nothing “complicated” here. It sounds to me like the attnys you have talked to are not worried about your situation. As was previously mentioned, once you go through all of the details the attny will be in a better position to finalize your options.

I hope this helps in some way.

Des.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">