• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

concerned about allowable expenses in AZ chapter 7 filing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

WBD2005

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Arizona

I am preparing to file for chapter 7.

I am currently living with a relative due to being laid off. However they want me out of the house ASAP (as do I). After over a year of this living arrangement I am finally back to working at a full time job that would allow me to move out and live on my own (if bankruptcy goes thru).

I listed my expenses based on what it would cost me to live in a one bedroom apartment. I have lived this way prior to being upemployed and know what it would cost to live in Arizona with zero "no-frills" lifestyle (from paycheck to paycheck). Even after listing them I would still be close to even or slightly behind in making payments each month, which is something that worries me for obvious reasons.

Am I allowed to list expenses based on living on my own in the near future or can I only claim what I am currently paying on a montly basis? If I cannot list my expenses based on what it would cost living on my own, does this mean I cannot file chapter 7 and resign myself to the fact I cannot live on my own?

It would put a real strain on my relationship with my relative (for both of us). I would hate to think the court would basically tell me "you are in a current situation that allows you to pay back your creditors and if this means you are stuck there, so be it".

Any words of adivice or to ease my concerns?

WBD2005

Anyone able to offer any kind of advice or comments?

Is putting down reasonable future monthly expenses allowed in the courts eyes? ...or do they only want exactly what my expenses are this month versus what my net income is for this month, and if the difference is large enough on the positive side my case would get dismissed?

Ladynred

Put down what it would cost you to live on your own. As long as it doesn't look out of whack, the Trustee's not likely to question it. However, you WILL have to list a leaseholder if you claim a lease. That would be a problem and you'd then have to explain that you are looking for a new place to live because you've been asked to leave and cannot stay where you are.

I suggest you consult with an attorney, only they will know how that will fly with the Trustees in your area.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">