• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

cosigner

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

puzzledk

undefinedWhat is the name of your state? Indiana

My ex and I have been divorced for 18 months. We had a loan at our local credit union which he assumed payments on after the divorce and it is listed in our divorce decree that he is responsible for it. Now he has filed bankruptcy and claims that he is going to reaffirm that debt but in the mean time the credit union is looking to me for payment because I was the cosigner. What should I do? Do I wait and see if he actually reaffirms the debt or should I get my own attorney? I don't want the credit union hasseling me.

Because creditors do not recognize divorce decrees, you are responsible for the payments. You need to make SURE he reaffirms the debt. Has he missed payments?

puzzledk

undefined
He has missed two. That had to be at the advice of his attorney because money was automatically deducted each week out of his paycheck and directly to the loan.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">