• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

cosigner

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lattie

I need a little adivce. I bought a car in 1997. My step father was to be the cosigner for me. The company I bought the car from put his name first and mine second. I (not knowing much about the paperwork involved in buying a car at the time), did not know that meant I was the cosigner. I have the car and have always made the payments. In the meantime, my stepfather filed bankruptcy and failed to tell me. I found out by calling the finance company with a question. I then called my stepfathers atty and asked him why the account was included in the bankruptcy when I was making the payments. He said he was supossed to send reafirmation papers to the finance company and did so but got no response. I asked the finance company if they received any such documents. They said they did not. Now I have a bankruptcy showing on my credit report which is preventing me from obtaining any type of credit. I would like to buy a home this summer. Is there anyway I can get this negative report off of my report. I am making the payments still. The finance company offered me a settlement for way less than what is owed on the account, however I can not get a loan due to the reporting status. I know I am responsible for repayment, which I have no problem making. The finance company is not reporting that I am making payments. In a general conversation I had with one of the reps at the fin. co. She told me if I have the car repoed by choice or not, they would report it again negatively. If the will report negative, Is it wrong that they are not reporting the payments being made? Do you have any guesses as to why they would offer a settlement on the car. Again, I had no idea bankruptcy was being filed on this account until after it was discharged. I am frustrated as hell and really need to know what I can do to get this off my credit report. Should I let them have the car back or what. Is there anything I can do? Please help. Thanks in advance for any advice or opinion.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">