• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

credit card debt after death

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

Lawrence2

I have (unsecured) credit card debt in my name only, and am getting divorced. If I should die, is the debt automatically discharged 1) if it happens before the divorce is final, 2) if it happens after the divorce is final?

bigun

All a credit card comapny can do is file claim against your estate in either case. If you leave no assets they are out luck. If you leave an estate, they can file suit for their share.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Lawrence2 said:
I have (unsecured) credit card debt in my name only, and am getting divorced. If I should die, is the debt automatically discharged 1) if it happens before the divorce is final, 2) if it happens after the divorce is final?
My response:

Sounds like this is your way of saying that you're ready to "check out."

If that's the case, I just wanted to say "Good bye."

IAAL

L

Lawrence2

Bigun,

I appreciate your reply- makes sense.

Lawrence

bigun said:
All a credit card comapny can do is file claim against your estate in either case. If you leave no assets they are out luck. If you leave an estate, they can file suit for their share.

L

Lawrence2

Re: Re: credit card debt after death

IAAL- not yet, but,
1) Personal opinion: Some of the credit card companies are equivalent to the devil on earth, and
2) This is America, and here people should not be afraid to tell the truth if they wish: Therefore, watch out for MBNA America, who has been known to take an interest rate to 24.98%!
Thanks,
Lawrence

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE said:

My response:

Sounds like this is your way of saying that you're ready to "check out."

If that's the case, I just wanted to say "Good bye."

IAAL

G

gottago

Lawrence-

Debt isn't worth getting stressed out about. If debt has taken control of your life, just file bankruptcy and start over.

The stigma of bankruptcy is nowhere near as bad as the looks you'll get if you're dead.....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">