• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dad gave me money before filing bankruptcy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Joejoe00

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania
Hi, my dad is having money problems due to credit cards and is thinkinabout filing for bankruptcy. He gave me a gift of money approx 40,000 a year ago from a workers comp settlement to help us pay our mortgage off. My question is: what is the waiting period he should wait before filing bankruptcy to protect me from creditors coming after the money he gave me? I read that creditors come after a family me ber at recieved a gift or that was an inside creditor. Thnks

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania
Hi, my dad is having money problems due to credit cards and is thinkinabout filing for bankruptcy. He gave me a gift of money approx 40,000 a year ago from a workers comp settlement to help us pay our mortgage off. My question is: what is the waiting period he should wait before filing bankruptcy to protect me from creditors coming after the money he gave me? I read that creditors come after a family me ber at recieved a gift or that was an inside creditor. Thnks
I understand that you may think this is a "new" topic, but it's actually very related to your prior thread. Please post this question there:

https://forum.freeadvice.com/consumer-bankruptcy-2/dad-financial-trouble-645453.html

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">