• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Income increase after filing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mjacks

If I file for chapter 7 then a month later graduate school and start working again, will the income increase cause my bankruptcy to not be discharged?

Last edited:

LdiJ

If I file for chapter 7 then a month later graduate school and start working again, will the income increase cause my bankruptcy to not be discharged?
The best I can say is maybe. The trustee is going to ask you questions about potential future employment and what you hope to make. The trustee will then decide if potential future employment should be a factor in deciding whether or not to approve your chapter 7.

kolabok

The best I can say is maybe. The trustee is going to ask you questions about potential future employment and what you hope to make. The trustee will then decide if potential future employment should be a factor in deciding whether or not to approve your chapter 7.
Clearly this must be a grey area! Are there any statues or regulations concerning such a scenario in the federal guidelines for consumer type bankruptcies? What happens if one were to gain employment of any type during the months long process to have the bankruptcy discharged. A job offer could materialize at any time.
And noticing this was still an open case since it hasn't been dismissed, the question I'd like to ask, does it matter at all after a petition for bankruptcy has been discharged what you do for future employment? I would think not, but I don't know. seems straightforward.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Clearly this must be a grey area! Are there any statues or regulations concerning such a scenario in the federal guidelines for consumer type bankruptcies? What happens if one were to gain employment of any type during the months long process to have the bankruptcy discharged. A job offer could materialize at any time.
And noticing this was still an open case since it hasn't been dismissed, the question I'd like to ask, does it matter at all after a petition for bankruptcy has been discharged what you do for future employment? I would think not, but I don't know. seems straightforward.
If you have questions about a matter you are involved with, please start your own thread. Don't hijack others' threads.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">