• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Relief filling Time

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

confuzzeled!

What is the name of your state? CA. I am in the middle of a divorce and my ex-wife owes me for bills and payments i have made on our behalf. She filed bankruptcy the beginning of August to avoid paying. My divorce attorney said i can file for relief so the divorce court can retain jurisditcion to order her to pay. How long do i have to file for relief with the Bankruptcy courts? Also i dont know if it helps but i was never legally served with the papers as she sent them to an old address. I guess my main anwser is can i still file for relief now and if so would it be best to hire a bankruptcy attorney to do this for me as my divorce attorney only knows it can be done, but not how to do it. I thank you in advance for any help as it is greatly appreciated. :confused:

Thanks

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">