• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

why did we file bankruptcy in the first place?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Janethop

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

gonna make this brief.... we hired an attorney to help us file for bankruptcy.. we let him handle everything. He decided to file Chapter 13. They are taking 300.00 a week out of my husbands' 700.00/week paycheck. We are paying off the past debt, but now we can't pay the current bills. We are behind on everything. Our credit score toggles between being the same thing it was to start with, or worse. What can we do??

LdiJ

gonna make this brief.... we hired an attorney to help us file for bankruptcy.. we let him handle everything. He decided to file Chapter 13. They are taking 300.00 a week out of my husbands' 700.00/week paycheck. We are paying off the past debt, but now we can't pay the current bills. We are behind on everything. Our credit score toggles between being the same thing it was to start with, or worse. What can we do??
When a chapter 13 is put into place the budget is determine based on current bills. Therefore, if you cannot cover current bills then you either gave your lawyer inaccurate information about your current expenses, or you are spending money not included in your budget.

latigo

Do some searching on converting from a Chapter 13 to a Chapter 7. There are a number of informative articles.

The title to your thread is "why did we file bankruptcy in the first place?"

You need to answer that question. Were you trying to save a home or a car? Were you trying to pay back taxes? Were you wanting just to get rid of unsecured debt like credit cards and medical bills? In the process, did you have some non exempt assets you were trying to protect?

I agree with LdiJ. You filled out a budget (Schedule I and J) and it said you could afford to pay $1,200.00 or so a month. Look at that budget. Figure out what you are doing today that does not match what you stated in the budget and then decide if you need to adjust your spending habits or if you can modify the Plan to reduce the monthly payment.

Certainly, no one on the Internet can tell you if you should remain in bk, convert or try to reduce payments. You need to sit down with your attorney and figure it out.

Des.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">