• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ATT Next Day Warranty Replacement Warranty - Day 21 Broken Phone No Replacement Still

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JGrooms

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona

I am writing this because this has been going on for 21 days now. I will start from the beginning.

I purchased a brand new Apple iPhone 7 256gb Black at an AT&T retail store on Launch Day September 19th. With the purchase I included an accidental damage warranty for lost, stolen, damaged devices from Insurance when picking up the phone day one.

October 5th I was involved in a motorcycle accident destroying the iPhone 7 resulting in the back smashed and camera rendered useless. I did the right thing and reported it to Insurance on the 6th of October to get the phone replaced.

I get an email to complete the paperwork and upload it back to Insurance. The paperwork was promptly completed on October 6th and uploaded as well as driver license.

Days pass and I never receive a phone call or information as to why I did not receive the replacement device and account charged the $225.00 for the deductible.

I receive a letter in the U.S Mail from Insurance saying the claim was denied due to lack of insurance during the incident of October 5th. Come to find out later someone accessed my account somehow and by mistake and without any notes on any system as to why this occurred my insurance was dropped on the amount. I was then reassured by AT&T reps all is corrected and the line has insurance and correct.

I call Asurion right away about the matter to find that they claim AT&T does not have insurance on the line. Mind you I have paperwork receipts confirmed I bought and added insurance to the line in store.

To my surprise over 20 plus calls to AT&T and multiple transfers I was offered options:

Option 1, ATT technicien support sends a replacement phone under warranty, expects me to send the phone back and the account charged $849.00. (Not even close to an option)

Option 2, I kid you not I was offered to take the phone to Apple to trade in the phone for a new iPhone and pay the difference. I don't ever recall Apple offering this kind of crazy offer.

Option 3, they talk to Asurion on my behalf and straighten this all out for me. We go with option 3. After about 50 minutes on the phone with them the line goes dead and the call is lost.

I call back an hour and a half later only to find out they never actually talked to anyone at Insurance. I come to find out they file a claim through the automated system without my legal knowledge. Not only did they do this without my consent, they filed an insurance under fraudulent presences. I say this because I come to find out later the insurance was not corrected, all they did was add it back on October 6th. Come to find out the rep lied on the claim and said the damage occurred on October 6th after I previous filed and signed my name stating the incident occurred on October 5th.

This naturally caused a red flag in the system with Insurance and claim #2 from the insurance adjusters denied the claim. (Of which I was fully unaware of mind you.)

October 17th, At this point I now began the call back in process with AT&T starting at around 4pm Arizona time and ending about 8:40pm. Here are the new options offered to me at this point.

"For all of my frustrations" I will offer you a $50.00 credit on the account. Since this has been going on a manager has offered to send me a new phone. The offer was a Samsung phone. I ask alright I am so fed up what is the offer. To my surprise the offer is a Samsung J3 ($269.00 retail). Their offer was a different brand phone for 2/3 the price. I promptly decline in disgust and demand another manager. After attempting to accept the $50.00 offer for the frustrations, I come to find out because the account is combined they do not have access to offer it. They transfer me to retentions.

I am now in department transfer rep #17 for tonight to find out retentions despite saying they could apply it they could not. They had to call combined billing department. The department is now closed because it is now 8:40pm Arizona time.

October 20th - The matter is now escalated to the Office of the President for AT&T. A direct number I will not disclose to get directly to a human to major complains. I formally file a complaint on everything that has occurred above and promised a call back in 24 hours. I never receive this call. I am in contact again on Monday October 24th to Office of the President. I am now in contact with a Michael heading up the case.

October 24th - Michael has offered to get in contact with Insurance offices to get a resolution. ATT does not have phones in stock to send and Insurance is the only option he states. He has offered to have the deductible billed to the account and waived by him. I finally feel hopeful for a quick resolution. He further states he emailed and has been in contact with upper relations for Insurance and assured a callback by tomorrow.

October 25th - No call from Michael or a call from Insurance for the matter. I call the ATT offices again. The rep taking the call sends an instant message to Michael to call me. He responds he will be in contact. I do not hear a call back. Later that day I reach out again. The person I am speaking with again now messages Michael and his manager. to call me back. No call back.

October 26th - I call around 12:30pm today to ATT offices explains to them you have now told him twice and his manager once to call me back. No call backs. She messages Michael to call me but states he is on a call. He sends a relay to the woman I am speaking with that Insurance WILL call me back today. Insurance never calls me back. I give them the benefit of the doubt for this and wait up until 8:20pm ET. I call ATT offices again and the woman answers and attempts to personally call Michaels extension. No success. She sees him online but does not respond to her. Their offices are now closing in 40 minutes and since Michael is not responding she assures me I will get a call back from emergency response team within 2 hours.

I am currently finishing this post and it is now 7:28pm. We have now reached the two hour deadline of the promise of a call back and no response.

I am at my wits end with this company and now day 22 without a phone in my hands working. Based on the information provided what options do I have at this point?

adjusterjack

Based on the information provided what options do I have at this point?
Sue the insurance company in small claims court for the price of a replacement phone. Might get the attention of somebody who actually has some authority at the corporate level.

Otherwise you might as well give up and take the best deal you can get because I doubt that you'll ever see a replacement phone from that company.

Maybe you've googled the company by now or maybe you haven't. I did and found the following:

Out of 1184 reviews on Consumeraffairs.com 95% gave negative ratings.

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/cell_phones/asurion.html

Also found numerous similar complaints on the complaint board:

http://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/asurion-insurance-c103746.html

Sorry, I have no solution for you. Apparently this company has screwing their customers down to a science.

Try filing a complaint with the AZ Department of Insurance though I doubt if that'll do you any good either.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Sue the insurance company in small claims court for the price of a replacement phone. Might get the attention of somebody who actually has some authority at the corporate level.

Otherwise you might as well give up and take the best deal you can get because I doubt that you'll ever see a replacement phone from that company.

Maybe you've googled the company by now or maybe you haven't. I did and found the following:

Out of 1184 reviews on Consumeraffairs.com 95% gave negative ratings.

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/cell_phones/asurion.html

Also found numerous similar complaints on the complaint board:

http://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/asurion-insurance-c103746.html

Sorry, I have no solution for you. Apparently this company has screwing their customers down to a science.

Try filing a complaint with the AZ Department of Insurance though I doubt if that'll do you any good either.
I don't think your advice will get the OP anywhere since there wasn't valid insurance on the phone. The problem is with AT&T, not with Asurion.

Last edited by a moderator:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">