• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Best Buy TV Return Dispute

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Steelerfan4ever

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

I recently purchased a TV at a local Best Buy store on 1/28/18. The TV is now defective, but covered under manufacturer’s warranty. Sony said it is a software issue and can replace it in roughly 2 weeks. Instead of waiting that long, I prefer to just return it immediately and get a different company brand that I have had better longevity with like Samsung. I called Best Buy corporate customer service line and they verified that I can return it since I am now an “Elite Member” (which has a 30 day policy). Now at the time of purchase for this TV I was a regular rewards member which only offers a 14 day return policy. This purchase put me in the elite status. I took it back to the store and the asst. manager refused to return the TV due to my rewards status at the time was under the 14 day policy and the system wouldn’t let her complete the return. I called the 800# while in the store and explain the situation and they once again said I should be able to return the TV since I am currently an “elite member” and ask them to speak to the store directly and another rep in the store agreed, but once again it fell on the asst. manager and she said she couldn’t. I ask her if I can speak to the store manager and she said he is out of town for the next 2 weeks. Instead of wasting more energy, I brought the TV back home and looked over the return policy and nothing states a grace period eligibility to use your return status for any products you buy. Asst manager says I can only utilize the elite return policy for any items bought after my status, but nothing in their policy says that and I feel I should be able to return any item bought within the 30 day timeframe of my active “elite” status including purchases recently purchased within 30 days of said “elite” status and corporate reps agree. Do I have a legal case here?

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

I recently purchased a TV at a local Best Buy store on 1/28/18. The TV is now defective, but covered under manufacturer’s warranty. Sony said it is a software issue and can replace it in roughly 2 weeks. Instead of waiting that long, I prefer to just return it immediately and get a different company brand that I have had better longevity with like Samsung. I called Best Buy corporate customer service line and they verified that I can return it since I am now an “Elite Member” (which has a 30 day policy). Now at the time of purchase for this TV I was a regular rewards member which only offers a 14 day return policy. This purchase put me in the elite status. I took it back to the store and the asst. manager refused to return the TV due to my rewards status at the time was under the 14 day policy and the system wouldn’t let her complete the return. I called the 800# while in the store and explain the situation and they once again said I should be able to return the TV since I am currently an “elite member” and ask them to speak to the store directly and another rep in the store agreed, but once again it fell on the asst. manager and she said she couldn’t. I ask her if I can speak to the store manager and she said he is out of town for the next 2 weeks. Instead of wasting more energy, I brought the TV back home and looked over the return policy and nothing states a grace period eligibility to use your return status for any products you buy. Asst manager says I can only utilize the elite return policy for any items bought after my status, but nothing in their policy says that and I feel I should be able to return any item bought within the 30 day timeframe of my active “elite” status including purchases recently purchased within 30 days of said “elite” status and corporate reps agree. Do I have a legal case here?
Only one thread is necessary on this forum.

You can dispute the return policy but if it was the TV purchase that made you an elite member, I agree with the store that the return would be under the rewards program terms.

FlyingRon

You won't win. Best Buy has the return policy in big print on the wall (been there). This was caused from people buying TVs for special events like the SuperBowl and returning them for a full refund. There aren't any exceptions to the "restock" charge. You can try arguing your special circumstance up the corporate chain at Best Buy, but I don't see any right to a legal remedy. Best Buy was free to leave Sony to deal with the issues.

adjusterjack

I recently purchased a TV at a local Best Buy store on 1/28/18. The TV is now defective, but covered under manufacturer’s warranty. Sony said it is a software issue and can replace it in roughly 2 weeks. Instead of waiting that long, I prefer to just return it immediately and get a different company brand that I have had better longevity with like Samsung. I called Best Buy corporate customer service line and they verified that I can return it since I am now an “Elite Member” (which has a 30 day policy). Now at the time of purchase for this TV I was a regular rewards member which only offers a 14 day return policy. This purchase put me in the elite status. I took it back to the store and the asst. manager refused to return the TV due to my rewards status at the time was under the 14 day policy and the system wouldn’t let her complete the return.
What appears to be happening is that your "Elite Member" status has not yet been updated at the store level and the store's system won't allow the processing of the return even though you are qualified.

Well, I don't see how anybody at the store can override that limitation.

I called the 800# while in the store and explain the situation and they once again said I should be able to return the TV since I am currently an “elite member” and ask them to speak to the store directly and another rep in the store agreed, but once again it fell on the asst. manager and she said she couldn’t. I ask her if I can speak to the store manager and she said he is out of town for the next 2 weeks.
Then take it to another Best Buy store where the store manager isn't out of town.

Instead of wasting more energy, I brought the TV back home and looked over the return policy and nothing states a grace period eligibility to use your return status for any products you buy. Asst manager says I can only utilize the elite return policy for any items bought after my status, but nothing in their policy says that and I feel I should be able to return any item bought within the 30 day timeframe of my active “elite” status including purchases recently purchased within 30 days of said “elite” status and corporate reps agree.
You're making the same mistake that a lot of people make. Because something isn't minutely specified in the policy, doesn't mean that it isn't so.

The problem seems to be that your "elite" status is recognized at the corporate level but not on the system at the store level. Is that right? If so, you need to be on the phone with corporate first thing Monday AM (if not sooner) and find out why and how it can be fixed. Perhaps get something in writing from a corporate executive extending the time for return or get a corporate executive on the phone with the assistant manager where she is instructed to accept the return/exchange manually.

Employees can solve a lot of problems when the boss tells them to.

Do I have a legal case here?
For what? Nobody's doing anything wrong to you. You're just stuck with the limits of the store's cackamamie system. Which, by the way, is a good reason never to do business with Best Buy. I'm surprised that the store stays in business. Join Sam's Club or Costco or buy at Walmart for more liberal return policies.

I see that you posted a message on Best Buy's Support Forum yesterday. Maybe you'll get an answer there.

quincy

Steelerfan4ever only became an "elite" member when he purchased the TV. If he returns the TV, he is no longer an elite member. His purchase totals are not great enough to make him eligible.

justalayman

Steelerfan4ever only became an "elite" member when he purchased the TV. If he returns the TV, he is no longer an elite member. His purchase totals are not great enough to make him eligible.
And he wasn’t an elite member until after he purchased the tv. Unless they specifically stated the elite status would apply to the tv purchase, I see no reason it should.

adjusterjack

From the Best Buy website.

As a My Best Buy member, when you spend more than $1500 in a calendar year, you're automatically upgraded to Elite status. If you spend more than $3500 in a calendar year, you are automatically upgraded to Elite Plus status. Once you qualify for Elite or Elite Plus status you can enjoy all of the benefits of that status for a full calendar year.
If the TV purchase on 1/28/18 brought his total purchases in 2018 up over $1500 then he was automatically upgraded to Elite status on the day he made the purchase and that allows a 30 day return.

I think if returning the item puts him back below the dollar threshold it would be for subsequent purchases, not this one.

At any rate, he indicated he wanted an exchange not a refund.

quincy

From the Best Buy website.

If the TV purchase on 1/28/18 brought his total purchases in 2018 up over $1500 then he was automatically upgraded to Elite status on the day he made the purchase and that allows a 30 day return.

I think if returning the item puts him back below the dollar threshold it would be for subsequent purchases, not this one.

At any rate, he indicated he wanted an exchange not a refund.
I see how you are reading the program terms. And the return policy is definitely arguable. But if someone buys a $1500 item and then returns it, they have not really SPENT $1500.

Dandy Don

If you are more interested in getting a replacement tv, then wait the 2 weeks and get it.

Arguing with Best Buy about your elite status is a waste of time.

quincy

If you are more interested in getting a replacement tv, then wait the 2 weeks and get it.

Arguing with Best Buy about your elite status is a waste of time.
I believe the whole problem is that he can't return the TV - unless he can convince Best Buy that he is an elite member eligible for their 30 day return policy. If he is only a rewards member, his 14-day return has passed.

I agree, however, that arguing with Best Buy is apt to be a waste of time.

justalayman

I believe the whole problem is that he can't return the TV - unless he can convince Best Buy that he is an elite member eligible for their 30 day return policy. If he is only a rewards member, his 14-day return has passed.

I agree, however, that arguing with Best Buy is apt to be a waste of time.
The return and wait for 2 weeeks was to utilize the manufactures warranty. That is available to op. He just doesn’t want this brand of tv so he is trying to push on the Best Buy return policy.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">