• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Blackmailed by Boss

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

u4ever36535

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Alabama .
I needed a vehicle and my current boss OFFERED to help. I was told to go find a vehicle she would write a check.... she would personally finance the vehicle at 3% with weekly payments and I had to maintain full coverage insurance. The vehicle it titled and registered in my name with her listed lien holder. I do not have the title as she called the dealership and had the title mailed to her.
Here is my issue..... I found another job that pays more and closer to home but she states if I quit or they let me go I have to give her the vehicle and have 14 days to pay her the balance due or secure other financing (which she knows I can’t do that’s why she offered to help in the beginning). She claims she can do this due to the “Acceleration Clause” but the way I read it, it mean if I default more than 15 days she can ask for full payment. She never said her financing was conditional on employment not does it state that in any paperwork.

Last edited:

justalayman

. I found another job that pays more and closer to home but she states if I quit or they let me go I have to give her the vehicle and have 14 days to pay her the balance due or secure other financing (which she knows I can’t do that’s why she offered to help in the beginning). She claims she can do this due to the “Acceleration Clause” but the way I read it, it mean if I default more than 15 days she can ask for full payment. She never said her financing was conditional on employment not does it state that in any paperwork.
Given you’ve read the contract and I haven’t, I’m in no position to refute your reading of it. It may be worth paying an attorney to read the contract and give you their opinion.

If it does state what your boss claims, ask the attorney if that clause would even be enforceable. Often times claussss that are unconscionable are not enforceable. There are several other basis to refute the enforceability of such a clause as well.

HRZ

The maximum legal leverage she has is the words she in the finance agreement you signed...and right now that is not before us...go dust it off . READ IT!

1.There may be an acceleration clause ...but the exact words count !

IF it's not conditioned on that specific employment it is very unlikely that triggers an acceleration....but details matter a lot !

2. IT is very likely non payment triggers whatever remedies are in the contract, which may well include acceleration .

BUT many a jurisdictions law favor a cure and things like confession of a judgement really do vary as to enforceability even if the contract says she is entitled to come grab the car if payment is 11 minutes late . And all that is beyond me .

3. DO not default as in late payments .

4. BOnded servitude to ones employer is out of favor as far as I know ...and has been for a good long time .

5. But a requirements to pay as agreed is still here .

adjusterjack

she states if I quit or they let me go I have to give her the vehicle and have 14 days to pay her the balance due or secure other financing (which she knows I can’t do that’s why she offered to help in the beginning). She claims she can do this due to the “Acceleration Clause” but the way I read it, it mean if I default more than 15 days she can ask for full payment. She never said her financing was conditional on employment not does it state that in any paperwork.
If you are correctly reporting the wording of the contract, then I agree with the others that she is blowing hot air and you are free to leave and take the car with you.

You can get a duplicate title at the DMV.

I caution you to keep the insurance in force and make your payments on time every time.

justalayman

If you are correctly reporting the wording of the contract, then I agree with the others that she is blowing hot air and you are free to leave and take the car with you.

You can get a duplicate title at the DMV.

I caution you to keep the insurance in force and make your payments on time every time.
Actually in Alabama, the lien holder holds the title until the lien is released

LdiJ

Actually in Alabama, the lien holder holds the title until the lien is released
That is true in many states, including mine.

Where I would see a possible issue is if the contract included language that the car payment would be withheld from the employees paycheck. Naturally the current employer could not do that if the employee went to work for someone else.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">