• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I cancel a contract to sell mobile home?I own a mobile home set up in a trailer p

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Loveconquersall

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia
Own a trailer in mobile home park. Sold it to a guy for $1 as it needed alot of work. We signed contract at end of Feb saying as of April 1, he would sign lot lease and take over rent. In the meantime, we let him start working on trailer. Not move in but start working on it. Needless to say, he didnt sign lease, pay deposit or rent. I had to pay for April and he has made no contact with me. I am going to send him a certified letter tomorrow to say he has not fulfilled his obligations. What are my rights? Can we cancel contract and move on or do I treat this lik e I am now his landlord? Help!

Last edited:

justalayman

Did the contract speaking of signing the lot lease also include the sale of the home for $1?

If not was there a transfer of the $1 under a separate contract (whether it be oral or written)?

HRZ

BTW if the buyer failed ALL elements of consideration then absent consideration there might not even be a contract ?

In which case OP has some sort of tenant at sufferance or trespasser in his trailer and the steps to get rid of such a tenant or trespasser in that state need to be addressed?

Loveconquersall

BTW if the buyer failed ALL elements of consideration then absent consideration there might not even be a contract ?

In which case OP has some sort of tenant at sufferance or trespasser in his trailer and the steps to get rid of such a tenant or trespasser in that state need to be addressed?
The fact that I may now be a landlord is what occurred to me which means I have to follow certain guidelines set by Va and probably go to court in order to get him out of there.

HRZ

THat is not entirely clear ..and beyond me ..

THe VALTRA or whatever it is called excludes small unit number owners and it also excludes contract for deed buyers from that body of law ...so it's a bit unclear without digging IF a defaulting buyer or a supposed buyer where contract failed due to missing element is a " tenant " unless you inadvertently create such a tenant status .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">