• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can storage lock you out of paid units?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Dynamiteblonde

I bought a large storage unit at auction and had to rent it back to empty it. I emptied it last week and advised an employee so he could check it out. It was too late to go by the office but I knew there was some rent owing on the unit. I have two personal units at the same storage facility. I went yesterday and found they had locked me out of my paid units and they wouldn't let me in unless I paid the balance they said I owed on the vacant unit. Is that legal?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I bought a large storage unit at auction and had to rent it back to empty it. I emptied it last week and advised an employee so he could check it out. It was too late to go by the office but I knew there was some rent owing on the unit. I have two personal units at the same storage facility. I went yesterday and found they had locked me out of my paid units and they wouldn't let me in unless I paid the balance they said I owed on the vacant unit. Is that legal?
What US state?

What does your contract (or contracts) say about this? I suspect that you agreed to in contractually.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">